Sunday, August 20, 2006

That's Hot!


It's here. In two days anybody who chooses to do so can get their hands on a copy of Paris Hitlon's debut album. And you know what, it ain't half bad. Yeah that's right, I said it. Call her what you want, but when it comes to marketing the brand that is Paris Hilton, she ain't stupid.

I say this because when Paris decided to set her sights on moving from singing with a brush in front of her mirror to singing with a mic in a recording studio, she knew she had to surround herself with producers and songwriters that could work well with her and get it right. And guess what, she did.

For six of the 11 tracks Scott Storch is on board, housing Paris' vocals in the club thumping soundscapes not too distant from those he provided for Chris Brown and others. Turn You On, one of the best tracks on the album, outlines a typical night for Paris where she dances on the table top and attracts stares from guys and girls alike, but who can't blame them cause she's sexy. Sexy enough to cover Rod Stewart's old school hit Do Ya Think I'm Sexy and actually not fuck it up. I kid you not.

Across the board, Paris aims to dip her feet into whatever genre works for her, or is present on her Ipod. Lead single Stars are Blind, gives a little reggae, a little Blondie, and a little Stefani. Heartbeat passes itself off for a Time after the Time for the two double O 6, while Jealousy [a peak into her "feud" with Nicole Richie perhaps?] out alternative rocks Lindsay, Hillary, and Ashlee Simpson's latest single by merely being catchy and smartly put together.

Yeah she probably wrote none of the songs on this disc. And her voice may be layered. And we may have to wait til a live performance to see if she is as passionate about this as she wants us all to believe. And yeah it's no album of the year. But all that aside, this disc is good for what it is: 35 minutes of head bobbing, ass shaking, catchy pop music. I'm not sure I am ready for Paris the pop starlet, but I am always down for some good pop music. And I'm cool with the whole Stacy Q vibe for 2006.

Key Tracks: Turn You On, Do You Think I'm Sexy, Screwed


*Now normally I would not waste my time writing a review of a Paris Hilton album but said screw it when I saw that the NY Post gave it three out of four stars and made some strong points that I totally agree with. Check it out:

  • NY Post's review of Paris
  • No comments: