Friday, August 11, 2006

REEEEWINNND!

In honor of the new Channing Tatum dance vehicle [sure to be this weekend's 'John Tucker Must Die'] and next week's finale of So You Think You Can Dance, let's revisit a post I wrote not too long ago about So You Think You Can Dance, Step Up, and other mindless dance vehicles shall we?


Step Up, Take the Lead, and Save The Last Dance Honey or else they'll be saying 'You Got Served Son!'


One of the best things about not having any obligations to anyone on weeknights this summer [besides catching up and reveling in good times] is catching up on television I did not have time for during my last year of school, and allowing myself to be a loyal fan to quality reality television fluff like FOX's So You Think You Can Dance?

Unlike those who are back for a second helping, I am new to the show, only in its second season at the moment, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for dance and this show is stellar for the simple fact that it is showcasing to people both young and old a world of dance that is more than that which is being offered daily in music videos on MTV, BET, or VH1. [Not that I am saying I don't like me some music video choreography, cause I do] The contestants dance each week for a loud, uproarious audience, [not an easy thing to do at all] doing something they love, so much so that they tackle styles and genres that were previously foreign to them, in a matter of two to three days without talking back or putting a frown upon their faces. No, everything we see is for the love of the game [and I guess the cash, car, and dancing with Celiene Dion prizes ain't too shabby either.]It's a mode of talent showcase reality that may have some legs as long as there are great dancers in America. And there should be. Plus how long can we subject ourselves to American Idol/America's Got Talent/The One/Rock Star/Master of Champions/Making the Band/etc, etc. At least for the moment, So You Think You Can Dance? feels fresh.

But you know what I won't stand for? Yet another "dance" movie staring some hot piece of eye candy with a plot that at 80-90 minutes seems a little long. Now I ain't gon lie, I can tolerate Save the Last Dance , edited, on TBS for the sheer so far from being oscar caliber it's entertaining to watch factor, and I even checked out Honey due to my own curiousity about it all. [Plus who passes up a movie where Jessica Alba's character relies heavily on the latin boricua heritage of Dark Angel?] And now we got Step Up starring Channing Tatum. Last time I checked, wasn't this dude making me feel unattractive as he towered over me as I walked past an Abercrombie and Fitch? And the movie studio and the folks involved with the flick want you to believe this kid has got game, offering up You Got Served moves and b-boy stances in the commercials, and a scene of Mr. Tatum in a little girl's ballet class just for shits and giggles cause every b-boy has a heart youknowwhatI'msayin?

Maybe I am being cynical. This could turn out to be a quality movie right? And Mr. Tatum may have done all his own stun-, I mean dancing right? Like Beyonce and her 'Sasha' persona, maybe this model[/actor] has some acting chops and an inner Usher Raymond lurking within his soul. Who knows? I won't til it hits TBS, VH1's Movies that Rock, or the CW. [Wouldn't it have been nice to have seen this late night or one weekend afternoon on the soon to be obselete UPN?]So you think you can dance Mr.Tatum? I, along with those who helped craft and put this film together are probably hoping you can dance and get your act on in a suave and convincing manner.

No comments: