Sunday, August 13, 2006

Stop! Slow Down Baby!


WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! What the hell is this and where did it come from?

Out of sheer curiousity I allowed myself to sample the new single on Itunes from Brooke Hogan, About Us. Once again I said sheer curiousity. Now I knew she was trying to become a pop star because I somehow managed to watch an episode or two of that VH1 show about the Hogan family with my bros back in college[funny I can say that now]while drinking of course. First off I was taken aback by the featuring part: Paul Wall. That's right Brooke Hogan feat. Paul Wall. [If Paris can get Fat Joe and Jadakiss I guess Brooke can have Paul Wall.] So I click on the track and these are the lyrics uttered by Brooke during the 30 second clip:


"...Swervin in my E-Class/Sun roof popped/With my Stuna shades on cause the hatas won't stop/NO!/[Chorus]I see your lips moving but I don't hear nothing/Everybody talking like they really know something about us/But they don't know nothing about us"


What? Now the pic for the single's cover is straight up Laguna Beach. Facial shot of a young blond beauty, body in side profile, head facing the camera, lips slightly open, hand on back of head as the wind flows through her hair. I was expecting something of the Stars Are Blind/Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know variety, instead we get what I think is a Scott Storch produced club banger aiming to be played alongside 50 Cent and Chris Brown in clubs and social circles Brooke herself has never set foot in. [and probably never will for that matter.]

This fall is pretty crowded when it comes to new music. For the next month or two we got new cd's coming from Christina Aguilera, Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Fergie, Justin Timberlake, and Janet Jackson. That's a lot of pop music. Will people make space for Brooke Hogan? Will her fans be completely confused/taken aback by the urban vibe she's throwing their way? Who knows? In the meantime go and check out the track for yourself and see if you too aren't completely surprised by what plays back at you when you press play.

No comments: