Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I Am The Walrus


Definitely Maybe. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? The Masterplan. Standing on the Shoulders of Giants. Heathen Chemistry. In high school these albums kicked some serious ass. Three of the five were bought in used record stores after every music mag and newspaper let me know that Definitely Maybe and What's the Story were hot shit. [Yeah I got em for street cred what?] I joined the bandwagon, I lived for Noel's songwriting and Liam's I don't give two shits vocal inflections. [Before I fell in love with Ryan Adams' I don't give two shits persona and vocal inflections.] Soon I moved on from the used store discounts and would rush to the stores when a new Oasis album dropped. [See Standing on the Shoulders of Giants and Heathen Chemistry.] There was no mistaking it, I was a fan.

Yeah they were cocky and at times overly ambitious cokeheads and alcoholics [Be Here Now anyone?], full of Pete Doherty like antics before we knew who Pete Doherty was, and the only mainstays of the group are the brothers with each new album, but hey just more to love baby and at one point in time I wasn't the only one with a big boy crush on Oasis. Today I still get a little interested when a new Oasis album is announced and in the past managed to not let the whole talk about being bigger than the Beatles or taking over America dissuade me from enjoying their tunes. Oasis are, to make a long story short, my Pearl Jam, my Nine Inch Nails;I was there early on and would give any new material a chance.

Well as we all know Oasis ain't the hot shit to everyone anymore and the whole conquering America thing didn't really pan out. Going back to the drawing board the Gallagher brothers are set to launch a, get this, hotel chain in the U.S.of A. According to information leaked by a source to Britain's Daily Star Newspaper, "The plan is to open as many hotels as possible by the end of 2007 and name each venue Supernova Heights, after Noel's former home in north London. They want to base rooms at one of the Miami venues around 'The Hindu Times' song."

Financial investors are said to be involved and the brothers are said to be dead serious about this venture into real estate in America. But not all plans and ideas are garnering interest. Also noted by the source: "Their plan to install alcohol and cigarettes in every room of their New York hotel, in honour of their track 'Cigarettes and Alcohol' has gone down like a lead balloon because so many people are anti-smoking." Can't win em all. Silly Blokes.


Rock on Oasis, rock on. Now if you'll excuse me, I got some Oasis cd's to dust off all night.

No comments: