Thursday, November 16, 2006

Old school funk for the true funk soldiers

I have many fond memories of partying and hanging out in West Hollywood at my girl Teresa's place and many of them involve that which occurs after the partying, when the music stops, the partygoers retreat, and the time to crash on Teresa's floor slowly approaches. Always a good time, a good time that often involves drunken/high views of Adult Swim, some Sci-Fi flick, Noah's Arc on LOGO, or, best of all, music videos.

One such night I sat up alone as Teresa fell victim to the night in her papasan, flipping through On Demand, and countless channels of mindless late night television. Eventually I settled on VH1 Classics and that's when I saw it, black and white, subdued and smoky, with a 50's lounge singer setting, and the lead singer taking on the role of the torched lounge singer churning out his last few notes as the barflies hang on for dear life and the barkeeps wipe down the tables. It was George Michael's Kissing a Fool, taken from his classic album Faith.[which already includes Faith, Father Figure, and I Want Your Sex!]

I could not look away. I was enchanted and moved by the subtle delivery and emotion of it all and reminded once again of why George can be a pop music force to be reckoned with when he wants to be.

Enjoy!

No comments: