Monday, November 06, 2006

New flava in ya ear!

I shouldn't like this, but I do...

I have a friend named Brandon and when it comes to tastes in music he reminds me a lot of my sister. They like that of the smooth R&B/slow jams/baby making jams/uplifting R&B/gospel/old school variety. Riding in the car with B-dubs
[new nickname, just coined it now. I'm that good. Wonder if it'll stick, like Kev and Homeskillet.]is all about laying back and coasting to the groove. This past winter break, Dubs and I were on our way to yet another movie or "grown man meal" and this song started playing in the background from one of his many R&B mixes. I sit up and bob my head thinking it's Robin Thicke's Pharrell laced I Wanna Love You Girl. I was all sorts of excited. That is my jam. I was surprised to learn that nope, I was wrong, the jam was in fact a new track leaked from Omarion's upcoming sophomore disc, Entourage. The formula present in Thicke's track ain't too different here. Lazy, [nasal laced] vocals, subtle synth lite groove forever indebted to the grooving jams of the 70's pioneered by the likes of of Kool and the Gang and Co. [I like them barely there keyboards too] Yeah I know, it's Omarion, but that chorus, and that beat. Look, I grew up on the cookie cutter, sometimes avant garde and forward looking and/or nodding to the past flava of hip-hop and R&B. I don't buy all the albums, but I relish the singles. And I've opened my ears to all the 112s, Ginuwines, Profyles, Jahiems, Keith Sweats, and Chris Browns the industry wants to throw at me, so what makes you think I'm gonna stop now. Shit if
  • Pitchfork can dig on an Omarion track or two,
  • why can't I?



    And don't get me started on how much I love this song:

    No comments: