Tuesday, October 17, 2006

When you were young


Tower Records was the shit. Deep catalogues and employees in the know, with music blasting from the sound system that made you stop and go who is this, and then proceed to go and purchase said disc.

[As I did one day with the Dead 60's, though I was pissed to find that the goddamn cd could not be played on Itunes. Seriously, record companies think they are so slick and doing a good thing for their artists, but they often forget that hey, they aren't. Not to mention the fact that you can get around many of the "roadblocks" they put up.]

Tsk. Tsk.

Well if you don't know [now you know],
  • Tower Records is going out of business.
  • Last night I hung out with some friends of mine in West Hollywood, and for the first time since announcing its Going Out of Business sale, I made a trip to the Tower Records on Sunset Blvd. It was truly strange to see a giant going out of business sign plastered across its namesake. The sale inside is aight. 20% off of soundtracks, hip-hop and r&b is cool, 15% off everything else is nothing truly spectacular. Especially when the lowest ticketed price is somewhere between 15 and 18.99. [Though there were plenty cd's marked at 12.99.] But I must rememeber that it is merely the first week of the sale and they have got a long way to go as far as clearing out their collection.

    The VHS/DVD store across the street is where it's at as far as sales go. It felt weird to walk around the music store forcing myself to think of something I needed, instead of something I wanted. [Sucks being caught up on music and/or having everything you want] So imagine my delight as I walked inside Tower Video and saw the tv dvd section, cause really who can't use a new tv dvd set. Granted many things were already gone [Boondocks, Breakfast Club, etc.], but I did manage to get my hands on seasons 2-4 of Sealab 2021 [for 22.09, 16.99, and 10 dollars respectively] and the first season of Harvey Birdman for ten bucks. Animation dvds are 30% off while used dvd's are only ten bucks.

    So to make a long story short, do as my friend recommended to me and get your ass to Tower Records whenever you have the chance. Revel in the magic that once was and search through the rubble to find some sweet deals. [as I did with my Adult Swim dvds]Do it to it, especially if you are an avid music/movie fan.

    No comments: