Friday, October 27, 2006

If there's ever an answer, it's more love


A few years back while in high school, these hear no evil ears of mine got hooked on this sunny little country tune, Wide Open Spaces, by the Dixie Chicks. In no time I was hooked. These girls could play and Natalie Maines sure could sing. I had no qualms with picking up their debut album and actually enjying it. And asking for Fly on my birthday was a must. But I became a true bonafide fan with the release of Home, one of my favorite albums of all time. Glorious instrumentation, heart wrenching lyricism [lovers torn apart by war in Travelin Soldier, a somber yet hopeful ode to love present in I Believe in Love] and of course the smirks and the humor we have all come to know and love present in Long Time Gone and White Trash Wedding.

And it wasn't just me. The Chicks would go on to sell 10 million records worldwide, sell out arenas, and win all types of awards. And then, on the eve of the U.S.'s invasion into Iraq, lead singer Natalie Maines made some disparaging remarks about President Bush, and things took an unfortunate and awful turn. Decline in album sells, loss of airplay on country stations, decline in ticket sales, anger and dissapoinment from those in the South and Middle America, and worst of all, death threats. All of this is chronicled in Barbara Kopple and Cecilia Peck's documentary
  • Shut Up & Sing,
  • in theatres today in NY and LA.

    On Wednesday, the girls sat down with Oprah to discuss it all and promote the movie. And for the most part it appeared as if what didn't kill them [no pun intended] only made them stronger. No regrets, all smiles, lovely and fun. It quickly reminded me of why I adore this group in the first place and reminded me to give their new disc, Taking the Long Way, a quick spin and be reminded of another reason why I am a fan: the music. Passionate, well crafted, harmonious, and melodic. Whether or not you agree with Natalie's views on Bush's White House, give the gals a chance and the music a spin, cause contrary to popular belief, it ain't protest music, it's just music, and the fact that it's good is merely icing on the cake. I'll take them over Toby Keith and Co. anyday, and you should too.

    No comments: