Saturday, October 07, 2006

Crazy In Love

So I'm kind of in love with Beyonce. All the things about her music and performance style that irks others are, for me, charming and finely crafted. And I hope her solo career lasts for years cause I'll always be in the background anticipating or supporting her discs. And as for her new album B'Day? Still can't get enough of it. I can make playlists for days and I love singles and my Ipod as much as the next man, but nothin beats a good LP and this is one damn good LP that I often play from start to finish without skipping a track. It's fresh, tight, and concise, and is hands down one of my top ten albums of the year.

Recently in an interview with Blender magazine, Beyonce stated that she makes "black people records." Ignorant/misunderstood readers and critics alike took that as meaning if you ain't Black don't press play, when in actuality Beyonce was speaking on the fact that she writes in a mode that represents how she talks and what she has seen and experienced as a young Black woman from Texas, as I noticed and agreed with in a hip-hop blog. Need proof? Peep her video for Ring the Alarm and the way she tosses her hair and flicks her wrists on top of telling a brotha off. Or the video for her new single Irreplaceable. A song destined to be a crossover hit/anthem for many a woman showing a no good dog the door. [I'm also expecting the lines 'got me twisted', 'you must not know bout me', and 'to the left, to the left' to be repeated ad nausuem] Best part of the vid: 1:52-2:03, so funny, so evil, and so real. I love it. Can't get enough. Keep up the good work B.

No comments: