Thursday, May 31, 2007

This is how we do it.

Yes it is 3LW. You don't even know...

Now if you visit this blog often, you know that old school jams are more often than not posted under the "Old School Funk for the True Funk Soldiers" headline. But sometimes old school joints are so good, so well put together, so classic to a brotha, [see Montell Jordan's This is how we do it] that all I can do is marvel at their goodness as they boldly play on and show us how's it done. This jam, presented below, is one such example.


For Marisol...

702. Blaque. Destiny's Child [the early years]. TLC. At the time of this song's release the niche 3LW was seeeking to fufill was more than crowded. But as is the case with many an artist, all it takes is a well crafted hit single to get the spotlight on you for a minute, and get a little money in the bank. I came back to this song last night on a bus ride. During my college heydays it was a party starting staple for me and a few special close female friends. [Surprise Surprise] I don't know what I like more: the dated, but novel at the time hiccup bounce of the beat; that all knowing, reassuring, gem of a chorus [also featuring once novel, now dated, or shall I say nostalgic bits of urban slang]; or the harmonizing call and response near the end. [Playaas! Hataaas!...]But I do know this, I'll never grow tired of this song, and it is one of my all time favorites.

No comments: