Thursday, May 10, 2007

Play that beat!

Believe me, I adore playing an old school hit like nobody's business, but sometimes there's nothing better than putting on one of your favorite long players, enjoying it for what it is: a tip-top, start to finish "headphone masterpiece".




Not having grown up with the music of Nirvana in my life didn't prevent me from falling in love with a band asking me to "come as you are" as they sang softly about a girl, and being dumb. Unlike many live albums I've come to listen to or own, this one wasn't too loud, nor did it feel impersonal. Each listen placed me in that New York studio, amidst the flowers and candles, Kurt's sunny disposition, and the band's entertaining and casual asides. And whenever a song's opening chords sprung to life and the celebratory applause came to an end, I listened and felt chills go down my spine as Kurt's voice yearned for Mary in "All Apologies" or questioned the love and fidelity of a loved one in "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" I also started a love affair with the work of David Bowie thanks to the band's honest and subdued version of his "The Man Who Sold The World" and wondered why I had never heard of the Meat Puppets.

For me this CD was [and still is] unabashedly raw, humorous, imperfect, and real. In other words, just plain good. And yes I also own Nevermind and [another personal fave] In Utero, but it was Unplugged in New York that grabbed me right out of the gate, sticking with me ever since. And yes I know that raving about a Nirvana album [or the band in general] is nothing new, but when the finished product is as good as what is presented on Nirvana: Unplugged in New York, it's hard for me to roll my eyes and say oh well whatever, nevermind.
Key Tracks: Pennyroyal Tea/Plateau/All Apologies

No comments: