Saturday, May 19, 2007

Big ups Merce Cunningham!


Male father of two enjoying breakfast with his wife and kids: So how long have you been dancing?
Tauwan: Whoa! What? I mean, yeah. I danced all through college.
MFOTEBWHWAK: Choreography and such?
Tauwan: Yeah. I choreographed some pieces and danced in various groups. My school had shows twice a year and I danced in all of them. But I haven't done anything of the sort since I graduated last year.
MFOTEBWHWAK: What? Well you gotta pick that up.
Tauwan: How did you know that I danced?
MFOTEBWHWAK: You're an elegant walker. I can just see it.

20 minutes later...

Male father of two enjoying breakfast with his wife and kids: Here's my card. When you start performing again let me know. I'll bring some people.

Needless to say, I am in a dancing state of mind today and need to get on the ball as far as picking that shit back up and getting inside some classes is concerned. This state of mind is also why I gotta say big ups to Merce Cunningham. It's amazing that at the ripe old age of 88 this man is still going, choreographing, pushing boundaries, and thinking outside the box. If you ain't hip to Mr. Cunningham yet, well, all I can say is if you don't know, now you know.

  • LOS ANGELES TIMES: Merce Cunningham's playful experiments
  • No comments: