Thursday, May 31, 2007

Riddle Me This

I am not a music snob.



Just thought I'd come out swinging with that first.

Back in high school [1998-2002, I'm a youngin] I was in love with Spin magazine. No, I did not have a subscription, but I was at my local newstand every month to spend four dollars and some change on a new issue. It was common protocol for me, filed under things one must get done before that first bell rings, such as purchasing some "bomb ass fries" from the roach coach or getting a drink at Starbuck's.

I was just starting to expand my musical palette, and publications like Spin helped me find new music or brush up on shit I need to or was already listening to.

And then something funny happened.

One day the mag just fell off for me. There was no need to get it every month. Issues were, what's the word? Oh yes, lacking, and I came in here and there periodically. Looking at the recent cover for the mag's July issue takes me back to those days back in high school. Am I right or am I right? Amy Winehouse, Career Counseling from Scott Weiland, Patton Oswalt on the Illest Punk Ever, the rise of raunchy Indie Rap, etc, etc. Sure there is an interview with 50 Cent, but whatevs, his interviews tend to be more compelling than his actual musical output.

Am I right or am I right?

Anyways this is the kind of Spin I came to know and love, and I hope they keep it up.

No comments: