Friday, July 28, 2006

Waaaaake Up!

Rise up with fists!

I remember burning Rilo Kiley's Take Offs and Landings album about 3 years ago. I remember not being moved by it. I remember not playing it all. I remember purchasing More Adventurous. I remember it becoming one of my top albums of 2004. I remember getting an advanced copy of Jenny Lewis' solo album Rabbit Furcoat and shouting its praises from the rooftop to whoever would listen. I remember buying the album when it hit stores. [take that RIAA] I remember wondering why it was getting no airplay aside from college stations for the most part and then being pleasantly surprised when one day "alone, jealous, and stoned" this video came on MTV2. [A channel that gets it right more times than not.]The Laugh-In premise, the comical undertones, and the old school down home vibe of it all is just as transfixing as the album itself. I remember sitting in a room during the summer of 06 reading the paper, reflecting on life and playing this song, nearly being brought to tears for the first time, something that had never happened during previous listenings. At this place, at this time of uncertainty and upcoming changes(?)in my life, Jenny's 3 minute song about surviving hit a nerve and egged me on to hold on to hope and I remember thinking, now who can't use a little bit of that right now?

No comments: