Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Oh you pretty things!



So I thought I was done with blogging for the day. And then it happened. Behind me from the other room came a sound I am now unfortunately all too familiar with. You see here in Southern California we have this chain of clothing stores Ross, it's pretty much TJ Maxx with a different name and smaller/less exciting selection. So Ross has a new ad campaign, and the slogan is something about making changes. Fade in, fade out, white background, normal, mildly attractive girls in 'hip looks' [jean jackets of all shapes, sizes, and colors, fluffy skirts, all smiles] dancing and looking oh so exuberant. The sdtrk for all of this? A male vocalist who I am sure is American trying to sound British [not in a Brandon Flowers kind of way, less mockery or creative reimagining and more this is my take on what a foriegner sounds like kind of vibe]. What is he singing? "Time to make a change. Cha-cha-changes. Cha-a-a-a-aanges. Cha-cha-changes!" It's David Bowie's Changes, but it's not. I know what it is. It's awful, that's what and everytime that damn commercial comes on, and trust me, it comes on a lot, I scrunch my face and shake my head, frowning thinking to myself WWDD [What would David do?] if he knew this take on one of his classic hits was being reimagined like this? Everytime a classic rock tune is thrown into a commercial people bitch and moan about integrity, and selling out, and how it's such a crime, but in my opinion this whole pretending to be the rock star and reworking the song so to avoid any fees, fines, and costs to anyone is much much worse.

And don't even get me started on Hillary and Haylie Duff's new version of Madonna's Material Girl.

No comments: