Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Quintessential Sounds of Summertime 1

Saturday, July 08, 2006

So earlier this week I posted what I felt could be a great candidate for the title of song of the summer. From here on out til the end of this glorious season I will be posting songs I think will forever be great every summer til the end of time.
First up:

Janet Jackson-Someone To Call My Lover

From the minute this song starts with a few strums on an acoustic guitar you are set up for a truly breezy jam of the summer. With lyrics that are conversational and everyman but not fluffy and throw away, Janet sings of a man who has to be out there. [ "maybe they'll meet in bar, maybe he'll drive a funky car" who knows?] And as is the case with many of Janet's songs space is allotted for a dance break, [one of the best things about Janet's hits] meaning that the vocals drop and the song coasts for a good minute or two on a groove complete with acoustic guitars, and 808 not too unlike the beat that underlies Freak Nasty's now gone but never forgotten hit of yesteryear, Da Dip. And who doesn't love the soft buoyancy of the 'I Yi, I Yi, I Yi, I Yi' refrain? Hear that and try not to sing along or move your hips with each syllable. Kudos to Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis on effectively using that Venutra Highway [by America] sample also.

No comments: