Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bubonic Plague, 40's, and Del Taco

Sunday, August 7th, 2005

After weathering the storm that is an 8 hr shift at Cost Plus,

[A shift that once again included aiding Eliza Dushku as she shopped the day away. At the outset my manager was assisting her but I breezed by her and made eye contact to which she stated 'Hey best friend' and of course I was CAUGHT UP! (big shout out to John 'Rosy' Rosenthal)]

Teresa and I headed to her place to buy some 40's and head down to The Echo to catch the Bubonic Plague, a band with a great rhythm section and oddly attractive members. The vocals are hard to hear and understand and delievered in a rather haphazard manner, but it is okay cause the lead singer is hot in a shirt off the shoulder, jockey boots wearing, hair all over the face as she grips and swallows the mic kind of way. In other words, easy on the eyes.

My drink of choice for the eveing? 40 full ounces of Olde English, placed in a, yep, you guessed it, paper bag. I immediately took a sip in the short walk from the liquor store to Teresa's car; a sip that gave me no choice but to state 'hmm smells like childhood.'[As would Night Train, Colt 45, and Cigarettes. I didn't do all of these while young, but members of my family did, so they are forever ingrained in my life as remnants of yesteryear.]

Now whenever I drink beer, I guzzle that shit, and honest to god my adept skill at downing beer has to be owed to the meddiebempsters and countless bull mooses, drinking games, and what have you. I treat each beer like it's the last one on earth, especially if it is good and I want to be wasted. The only downside is beer gives me the worst hangovers, especially when cheap.[ more on that later.]

So we finally make it to the Echo and it has a nice crowd for a Sunday night. Though still not as busy as that one night when Rick along with every other Jaded hipster in Los Angeles thought the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Mars Volta would play a secret show at two when the club closes it's door and kicks you out. Yeah...right. Even Marissa, a junior at UC Santa Cruz, and newcomer to Cost Plus was there to see the Bubonic Plague. Granted her friend's sister is the band's keyboardist.

Being that I am Tauwan and I was on a dancefloor, I took to the dancing with a quickness. Even making Marissa dance to every song despite her warning that she 'doesn't really dance.' This is something you don't say to a buzzed Tauwan when music is playing and dancing is obviously needed in the hizzouse. I felt like saying 'bitch shut the fuck up and shake them hips' but there was no need to cause she got down, even had to take the purse off the shoulder. It was that serious. I only stopped shaking my ass to applaud at the end of a song. As soon as the next one started I proceeded to move. It was a kinetic/relfex/for every action there is a reaction type shit.

Now I had the day off today so I did not see Marissa. But I hope I did not freak her out cause I made sure my dancing stayed close to her and faced her. I don't know if it was because I was buzzed or what but I was actually finding her movements and demeanor somewhat charming and attractive. I even kissed her sweaty cheek all suave and/or fag hag style when she said she was leaving. Just now realizing how weird that must have been.

Eventually the band finished their set and the dj spinned and eventually the dj began to suck. I proclaimed that "I am sleeping over tonight" to which Teresa added Jack in the Box or Del Taco. God us and our post party fast food trips. I just wanted to crash but was not about to pass up some quick fix Mexican. So I got my four steack tacos and wolfed those suckers down like it was my job before finishing Teresa's 40 of Mickey's and crashing on the too small for even my body couch.

Cut to four or five hrs later.

An alarm goes off and Teresa goes into the bathroom to prepare for work. I watch her as she does so, turn over when the door closes and go back to sleep, realizing that my mouth is dry as fuck and my head is fucking pounding. an hr later I wake up and realize the apt is quiet and the bathroom is still closed, seeing as how I am still drunk, I initially assume Teresa is still in the bathroom and amazed she has not left for work yet eventhough it is 10:27 AM. When I go to take the first of what will be many hangover dumps of the day I realize she is indeed at work and I was just knocked out when she left.

At two I decide to get my ass up and do something about the hangover and maybe get home before it is too late. So despite the throbbing head and weird feelings in my stomach, I eat a taco I forgot to last night, and make some coffee while watching TRL [love the new Kanye video], That's So Raven, and America's Next Top Model [a marathon I almost got sucked into. The show is so addictive. It would not be the first time, trust me.] But no I decided to but my pants on, dizzy up the hair and head to the mall. [By this point I'm a little better, but walking is slow and if I saw me from the time I left Teresa's to the time I got home, I would have thought I was fucked up on some drug or something.]

Then something funny happened on the way to the outside world: I puked. Something the so called "boy with the higher tolerance" had not done at all this summer, not once despite all the liquor and various intoxicants I have indulged in and/or mixed together. It was quick and painful. Hello again Del Taco. Goodbye pain in my stomach....It was bound to happen. I cleaned up my mess. Closed up shop and headed to the mall.

Nothing can stop this kid from shopping.



What a gay ending. Gay in a "Sarah Jessica Parker tying it all together voice over as she types away on her laptop before the show draws to a close" way.

No comments: