Wednesday, July 19, 2006

MIXTAPE FRIDAYS!

Friday, July 14, 2006

I have what some may say is an odd relationship with the band We Are Scientists.

Sometime in the fall of 2005 I had to miss a Monday night cd screening and charting session with my two fellow music directors at the radio station. Evan, my roommate and fellow music director brings home a single that I just have to hear because he knows that it is up my alley. [he was right, as he was 99.9% of the time when it came to music I would like] The single: Nobody Moves, Nobody Gets Hurt. Instead of spinning it, the single is never opened and remained on my desk til graduation. Ooops.

Sometime before Spring flipping through channels and am completely transfixed by this infectious song that is playing out in front of me on MTV2. And that chorus that is repeated so many times, 'my body is your body/I won't tell anybody/if you want to use my body/go for it..'. The video? You guessed it. Nobody Moves, Nobody Gets Hurt.

Later that week I listen to sound clips from the album [cause hit singles or videos by bands I don't know sway me like that. I know my appetite is just insatiable] and run out in buy it. I give a listen all the way through. Doesn't grab me like I expected it to. Though Inaction does become my 2nd favorite and most spun track on the disc.

From there on out only Inaction and Nobody Move.. would be played or when I play the album I would listen to it from start to finish. But get this...whenever I play the album now it's because I am reading some blog, or article, and the band is mentioned or a song and I am like oh yeah I have that album and I play it...all the way through for the most part.

Earlier this week Read about the band's latest single or something and started to play the album again. The album reaches the second to last track and I am taken aback by how great it is, sharp and in your face, and how much it reminds me of the music by one of my favorite bands, HOT HOT HEAT. And then I thought to myself, you know what, this plus a Hot Hot Heat track could be the start of yet another "mixtape"

And there you have it,
[Quite the build up eh?]

Kilter/Off

ONE/Feel Good Hit Of The Summer/QUEENS OF THE STONE
AGE

TWO/Dance Dance/FALLOUT BOY

THREE/Good Weekend/ART BRUT

FOUR/You Are a Runner and I am My Father's Son/WOLF PARADE

FIVE/Get in or Get Out/HOT HOT HEAT

SIX/It's A Disaster/OK GO

SEVEN/Worth Wait/WE ARE SCIENTISTS

EIGHT/Red Light/THE DEAD 60'S

NINE/Speaking in Tongues/EAGLES OF DEATH METAL

TEN/Watching the Detectives/ELVIS COSTELLO

ELEVEN/Broken Boy Soldier/THE RACONTEURS

TWELVE/Black Tongue/YEAH YEAH YEAHS

THIRTEEEN/Bricks & Mortar/MOVING UNITS

FOURTEEN/This Devil's Workday/MODEST MOUSE

FIFTEEN/Vertigo/THE LIBERTINES

SIXTEEN/This Boy/FRANZ FERDINAND

SEVENTEEN/Sister/SHE WANTS REVENGE

Now if you'll excuse me I gotta go. All this talk about We Are Scientists has got me hungry for for their tunes. Although I may have to bump that new Peaches album, IMPEACH MY BUSH, cause that shit is off the chain.

No comments: