Friday, July 28, 2006

Panic! From the stereo! [Also known as MIXTAPE FRIDAYS!



We don't like to admit it, but sometimes it ain't just the music that pulls us in to a band. Sometimes clever marketing, imagery, and/or a name can pull you into a band way before you even hear a lick of music. Now it's a well known fact that I hardly if ever listen to the radio, so it is easy for a band or an artist that is getting heavy rotation on national outlets to pass me by if I don't read about them or catch their music video by chance.

Imagine my excitement when one day long, long ago when I came across a band with the name Panic! At the Disco! How sweet is that? Finally a band that wore it's genre on its sleeve. Disco! Glam! Gender bending! Drugs! Sweat! Rock and fucking Roll baby!

[little did I know, the emo-ish and theatrical video I would catch midway through quite often staged at some wedding belonged to this band. I never watched it long enough to see who the band was. As I and you will see the music would not be for me.]

Finally a band that didn't just choose some eye grabbing to get their indie/hipster on. No. No. No. I even said to myself, it's a shame that more people aren't making music like the Scissor Sisters, The Ark, or Elton John and David Bowie in their prime. Glad glam/pop/disco/dance music is making a comeback. Imagine my surprise when I rushed to Itunes as I often do for sound clips and heard not the sound of some Bowie or Disco fans, but a band more along the lines of Fallout Boy. So misleading. Their album is titled A Fever You Can't Sweat Out for christsakes. Boy was I dissapointed. Another good name gone to waste.

I don't know about you, but when I see a name like Panic! At the Disco! I wanna get my boogie on and rock out with my cock out, maybe make out a little bit on the dancefloor with whoever is closest to me, but I don't want to get all emo with it. No. No. No. NO. I want to revel in the music of artists putting it down like this:

PANIC!FROM THE STEREO!

1. Hot Child in the City-Nick Gilder
2. Shudder to Think-Hot One
3. Tell Me a Story-Iggy Pop
4. Get it On (Bang a Gong)-T.Rex
5. Spirit in the Sky-Norman Greenbaum]
6. Father of a son-The Ark
7. Mary-Scissor Sisters
8. More, More, More-Andrea True
9. 20th Century Boy-T.Rex
10.Oh!You Pretty Things-David Bowie
11. Wild World-Cat Stevens
12. It takes a fool to remain the same-The Ark
13. Rocket Man-Elton John
14. Gimme Gimme Gimme (Man after midnight)-ABBA
15. Danger (High Voltage)-Eletric Six feat. Jack White

No comments: