Saturday, December 30, 2006

POP...LIFE!: Tauwan's Top album of 2006



1. Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins-Rabbit Furcoat

Post Thanksgiving 2005 I got my hands on a little disc by a former child star and two soulful back up singing twins. I was all sorts of excited because I had just climbed aboard the Rilo Kiley train and couldn't get enough of More Adventurous. For a while I could only bring myself to play Rabbit Furcoat the track over and over again. For me it was a delicious piece of songwriting and storytelling, that placed Lewis front and center with her childhood and her music, and I couldn't get enough. But eventually I took my finger off the repeat button and once I did, within my hands I found my very own Dusty in Memphis. Many people aren't making records like this anymore, and with one listen to this you'll be wondering why. From the opening twang of the gospel like hymn, Run Devil Run, right on down to the conversation with her spirituality on the gorgeously haunting Born Secular, Lewis and the Twins produce an immaculately crafted album centered in reality with a low tolerance for bullshit. The alt country soundscapes, the arresting vocals, the weight of those lyrics; white soul rarely sounds this good. Many albums came and went in 2006, but few stuck with me like Rabbit Furcoat did.
KEY TRACKS: Big Guns/You Are What You Love/Born Secular

  • 2. The Elected-Sun,Sun,Sun

  • 3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Show Your Bones

  • 4. The Blow-Paper Television

  • 5. Justin Timberlake-Futuresex/Lovesounds

  • 6. The Rapture-Pieces of the People We Love

  • 7. Beyonce-B'Day

  • 8. Gwen Stefani-The Sweet Escape

  • 9. Scissor Sisters-Ta-Dah

  • 10. Dirty Sanchez-Dirty Sanchez

  • 11. Arctic Monkeys-Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

  • 12. The Presets-Beams

  • 13. The Black Keys-Magic Potion

  • 14. The Clipse-Hell Hath No Fury

  • 15. The Ark-State of the Ark

  • 16. The Killers-Sam's Town

  • 17. My Chemical Romance-The Black Parade

  • 18. Basement Jaxx-Crazy Itch Radio

  • 19. Gnarls Barkley-St. Elsewhere

  • 20. Hot Chip-The Warning

  • 21. Beck-The Information

  • 22. The Flaming Lips-At War with the Mystics

  • 23. Peaches-Impeach My Bush

  • 24. The Strokes-First Impressions of Earth

  • 25. Wolfmother-Wolfmother
  • No comments: