Wednesday, December 13, 2006

New flava in ya ear!



The year is winding down to a close which means music mags and websites galore are fumbling all over themselves to get out those holier than thou "best of" lists. A week or two ago I was carousing the archives of
  • Stereogum
  • and came across a post which listed Q's or NME's best singles and albums of the year, which upon close inspection led the folks over at Stereogum to proclaim that one thing was for certain, Q or NME sure do love them some Hot Chip. Said band showed up two or three times for the Warning and a single or two from that album, with Over and Over topping their best singles of 2006 list.

    "Oh. Well is that right. Guess it's time to revisit that album and single..."

    By now everybody and their mama knows how much I love me some Hot Chip. When I discovered Coming on Strong, later than others I was head over heels in love with all the b-boy posing, nods and jabs at contemporay hip-hop and r&b, all set to delectable synths, keys, and soft core grooves. Next thing you know a sophomore disc were making the rounds and I was all sorts of excited. And then I got it. And then I wondered what happened. And then the disc was removed from the Ipod and I moved on.

    But that Stereogum post sent me back.

    And oh my god. I started with Over and Over and boy oh boy is that a great track. And then I went back and played the album and the second and third and fourth and fifth time it did not dissapoint. Over and Over is now sitting pretty at number 10 on my top ten singles of the year list, and the Warning will definitely make my best albums of 2006 list. Big Ups Hot Chip. And I am sorry for sleeping on such a fantastic little gem of a record.

    And yes, The Warning has made its way back to my Ipod. Nuff said.

    No comments: