Tuesday, December 26, 2006

It's coming around again

As the year draws to a close and I stumble all over myself to compile a best albums of the year list [which is still happening
  • here
  • ], I find myself going back to those other albums of 2006, you know, the ones that didn't really grab me at all, or were unattainable at the time of their release that are now, somehow getting some good spins here and there, making me wish I gave them this much attention from the time of their release onward. Yeah... Anyways here's an example of one such disc:




    The Fiery Furnaces. Bitter Tea.

    Look, I ain't gon lie. I'm a little late to the whole Fiery Furnaces train. I came in with the
  • EP.


  • [Though, in all honesty, my first actual introduction occured at some hipster party in Los Angeles during a break from school. Everybody's drinking and carrying on conversation in the kitchen including me and a few friends when this attractive little something, all trendy and big purse joins in. Talk. Talk. Laugh. Talk Talk. Swig. Laugh. Nod. Agree. Soon the topic turns to the music, mostly fufilling its role of just resting in the background so not to drown out conversation. It is at this point that all trendy and big purse pulls out the Fiery Furnaces' sophomore album Blueberry Boat asking 'have you heard this disc yet? Best thing you'll hear all year. I'm trying to get them (the hosts of the party) to put it on.']

    Yes when that EP hit my college radio station I was all what is this? and fell in love. I mean have you heard the thing. It's one of those rare discs by a quirky acquired taste indie band that can pull in the outsiders. Tracks 1-5 are perfectly executed and sequenced, nicely setting you up for the constant quirks and idiosyncrancies present in the bottom half of the disc. This disc was so good that I did that rare thing I do when I am in love with an album and call myself "adding to the record sales": I went out and bought it, after nabbing a burned copy weeks in advance from my radio station. Take that RIAA!

    So as a new found fan you can imagine my delight when Bitter Tea dropped. Once again I nabbed it before the official street date. Once again track one lured me in like many a good disc should. In My Little Thatched Hut shook like a 60's bop from one of Annette Funicello's beach blanket bingo movies and grew to surprise and intrigue me at every turn, adding a blip here, changing tempo there, like many a Furnace track does. But after a while this became too much. It wasn't charming anymore. The dubbing, tape running backwards, and whatever other look at us we're experimental trick became too much for me. [And in case you are wondering, I am not, repeat, not a fan of
  • Rehearsing My Choir
  • , no matter how many times I return to it.] I found myself stuck to things I heard before like the White Soul Doo Wop of Waiting to know you. But soon even that wasn't enough to keep me holding on, and I moved away.

    That was April. Skip to the end. December. I don't know what it was exactly, maybe it was a listeners also bought list on Itunes I saw while playing something else, or maybe it was the thought of wanting to add a Fiery Furnaces song to this playlist I have not yet finalized, but something brought me back this week. And now I am wishing I had a little more patience back in April. Had I taken the time to let it spin a few more times, this disc would have easily made my top 15, or even top ten. Hell had I rediscovered it two weeks ago it would have definitely landed a nice spot on the list. Oh well. One of those unskipable albums that should be played the way it's sequenced. Remember those? No fine tuning with the IPOD on this one. Creative, charming, and more than anything, gorgeous. Yes, gorgeous. When Eleanor Friedberger opens her mouth, something magical happens. The same can be said for the avant garde soundscapes she and brother Matthew wrap themselves in. It's a thrilling listen and I sincerely apologize to the two of you for sleeping on it for all these months.

    No comments: