Sunday, October 01, 2006

This Charming Man


I was painfully tired. My day started at 6 AM and involved caterting to others from about 8 AM to 4 PM. My feet hurt and I was playing a mean game of phone tag trying to convince myself that I could still go out and be social cause after all it was a Saturday; this, despite the fact that I would have to repeat the same dutiful and exhausting tasks Sunday morning and afternoon. My friends and I never connected, I stayed in, and enjoyed a more than comforting buzz from a slightly chilled [and taller than usual] Red Stripe.

Not going out also meant giving the season premiere of SNL with guest host Dane Cook and musical guest the Killers a try. Tuesday marks the release of the much talked about but seldom heard sophomore disc Sam's Town from the Vegas showboats, and while I am not overtly excited, I am a fan and am deep into this whole fall music season we are in. And way more excied than most about it. I also enjoy me some When you were young, and with it being the new single and all I knew it would be performed first, and whoa, what a performance.

Now when I say what a performance I am not gushing because it was the best thing since sliced bread. NO. But it was not a horrible performance either. If there is one thing Brandon Flowers can do, it is hold your attention regardless of whether you are a huge fan or not. Each comment, bedazzled keyboard, and piece of concert attire pulls you in just so you can either back him up and join the team or add yet another snide remark about his silly showboating ass to the list.

From the top of the song I was puzzled. Did he just emerge from David Keuning's side? Is David Keuning high? Wait, what's going on with B. Flowers? Is he on something? And what the fuck is up with this look? Is this a joke? It's like Rivers Cuomo meets Morriseey meets Bruce Springsteen meets honky tonk blues. And man I am no musical expert [hell I can barely read music] But I was in an a capella group for like 3 and a half years, and boy he is really sounding off-key and/or tone deaf for some of those choruses. Those older types who got off on the earlier jabs at the current state of politics in the U.S. and the Bush White House must be cringing in their seats, Ipod shuffles set to Born in the U.S.A.

But for what it's worth Brandon and co. seem to be enjoying themselves and more times than not everything is in its right place. For all I know all the late 60's, "look at me I'm under the influence and captivating you" stances are all cleverly planned, along with the vocal [theatr]tics and "costuming." B. Flowers ain't stupid. he's just getting his David Bowie, "everyone's a little gay", bigger than Jesus, boogie woogie on, and I didn't turn away. Goddamn it!

No comments: