Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Top 5 Back-to-School Albums

From
  • LAist:


  • There was some really good music released over the summer and it's always nice to return to school with some "indie cred" so here are the Top 5 Albums to bring back to school with you:

    5. The Stage Names - Okkervil River
    4. Marry Me - St. Vincent
    3. Kala - M.I.A.
    2. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga - Spoon
    1. The Reminder - Feist


    Okay. Not too shabby. But if I was returning to my alma mater this fall I would come armed with these bad boys to show off and share with the world:

    5. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga - Spoon

    Hey guys have you heard of this band Spoon? No? Well let me put something in for you. Yeah...this is good old rock and soul at its finest.

    Okay now that the street cred disc is out of the way you can bring the party with these:

    4. Hey Hey My My Yo Yo - Junior Senior

    What's that you say? I've been bumping this for about two years now? Well whatever. It finally dropped in the United States this summer and yes, it brings the party. Don't believe me? Press play on We R the Handclaps and you'll lose your voice singing along, never wanting to go home.

    3. Fancy Footwork - Chromeo

    2007 meet the 1980's, the 1980's meet 2007. Alright. Now stop, collaborate, and bring the jams. Synthesizers say ho!

    2. Double Up [Tracks 5-11] - R.Kelly

    I mean really, come on. When was the last time an R.Kelly single wasn't a hit on a place of higher learning? Don't worry, there's a single in the bunch. [Two to be exact: Same Girl and I'm a Flirt Remix] But prove you ain't no chart chaser by playing this little gem of an album wedged in the middle of Double Up, and have a good laugh/sociological moment when Real Talk comes on.

    1. Kala - M.I.A.

    Roadrunner, roadrunner, beats 100 miles per hour. Thank God that whole collaborating with Timbaland thing didn't really pan out, cause Switch [credited on 8 of these 12 tracks] and others globe trot with M.I.A "missing in action", treating every locale like a club in need of an anthem. Press play, believe the hype, and act like you know.

    No comments: