Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Looking for love in all the wrong places?


A few weeks back a bunch of my friends got buzzed, put on their dancing shoes, and headed to the Echoplex to catch Diplo do his thang on the 1's and 2's. Everyone for the most part had a grand old time. Everyone except for Mark, a fellow DJ transplant from Chicago now living in Los Angeles. For Mark, Diplo's show was merely "aight."

Now everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but Diplo's show being merely "aight" was not the consensus felt amongst the rest of the group, who were riding on cloud nine, enjoying what Diplo had to offer. Must of been tough to be in the minority. [And I hear it was for the rest of the night] But it's all good Mark, cause I feel you. I saw M.I.A. at the Echoplex last night, and for me the show was merely "aight."

Don't get me wrong, all the trappings of a good time were there. M.I.A. had the energy of a cock gone wild in a grass less front yard, accompanied by two 80's b-girl back-up singers/dancers, and a DJ mixing it up with the beats behind the boards. All of this was presented against a giant sheet-like back drop not to different from the imagery present on the cover of her new album. This plus that plus this gave off a garage house party vibe, that for me, went on to feel more like a homecoming dance and/or prom with a really good musical guest.
!"
Again, don't get me wrong, I boogied, I shouted "oh shit!" when she played the jams, and even chuckled at the banter ["I need a husband. I got 11 months left on my Visa. That's enough time to have a baby and get married."] but I don't know, something was missing. Maybe it was the crowd who were of the stand there and smile variety. [A crowd that, by the way, was not sold out at all.] Or maybe it that point during Sunshowers when I got my nitpick on and regretted ever singing in an a capella group, not allowing myself to enjoy the song completely when M.I.A.'s back-up singers/dancers went completely flat on the choruses. Or maybe it was the three people she let onstage to dance near the end who defined dancing as swaying from side to side while bobbing your head. [Come on! If you get the chance to dance onstage to an M.I.A. beat with M.I.A. right in front of you, I mean don't you break it down? At least represent for all those hands that went in the air when she asked who wants to come up here and party.]


Again, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, M.I.A. gave it all she got, but in the end it wasn't enough for me and the entire show left a little something to be desired. But don't fret, I'm still a fan. Shortly afterwards my friend got her hands on the newly leaked Kala, and let me tell you, that shit is fire. I can't wait to purchase that one. And I also can't wait for the day when M.I.A.'s live output equals what she puts on wax.

No comments: