Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

I tried to hold out and be strong, but I couldn't take it anymore. I went ahead and got my hands on M.I.A.'s sophomore LP Kala, and my god if I ain't worn that shit out already. [Thank god for MP3s. If this were a taped cassette, well I'd be screwed.] Kala is my new B'Day, my new The Sweet Escape, my new Good Girl Gone Bad; in other words, it's my new favorite disc from a female artist that I can't help but play from start to finish and often times put on repeat.

And the opportunities for singles are endless on this one, but let me just say that M.I.A. and her people got it right by releasing and making a video for the Bollywood influenced track Jimmy. Is it my favorite track on the album? No. But is it the kind of track that could grab the ears of a Fergie, Rihanna, or Gwen Stefani fan, thus expanding her fan base and garnering interest in the new album? Yes. And that is why I gotta give M.I.A. and her crew some props on dropping this one like it's hot.

So enjoy the video for Jimmy presented below, and come August 21st, pull your pennies together and do what you can to get your hands on what is, thus far, one of the top five releases of the year.

No comments: