Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sound of silver.

I adore the new Rilo Kiley album Under the Blacklight. [Surprise, surprise] It's got an easy breezy 70's AM radio feel ["Dreamworld"] mixed with a little 80's dance bounce sheen [Personal faves "Dejalo" and "Give a Little Love" a.k.a I Need Love 2007 (The What a girl wants mix)]and gorgeous R&B flourishes.

As much as I adore nearly all of the 12 tracks housed within the disc I must admit that after the first few spins I found myself going back to the tracks that beg to be replayed, no matter the order, again and again til I grow tired of them. One of those tracks is the slow grooving opener Silver Lining. A tune composed of hand claps and soulful backing vocals on the chorus [somebody sure does miss those Watson Twins huh?]that sticks with you long after it's three and a half minutes are up. Could you ask for anything more? How about a video that manages to bring to life the lyrics and theme of the song while also allowing Jenny and Blake to show off those acting skills they honed early on in life?

No comments: