Friday, December 19, 2008

PUT THE NEEDLE ON IT!: Tauwan's Top Albums of 2008



07/TV on the Radio/Dear Science

It’s a well-known fact that Gangstas don’t dance, they boogie. And when they do, you best believe that it was a conscious decision, their way of saying, ‘you know what, “F**k you war! Ain’t no bombs fallin’ on me”, I’m ready for the good times, starting right here, RIGHT NOW!’ These thoughts (and words) permeate TV on the Radio’s latest LP Dear Science, a grandiose and raucous adventure in sonic wonderland that plays it both ways, acknowledging the fragile state of the world today while refusing to remain complacent and wallow in the downtrodden waters of lost hope. Do I feel lost in the shuffle? Yes. Am I “scared to death that I am livin’ a life not worth dying for”? Yes. But will I let this stop me from letting me live/make sense of it all? No, for there’s a light at the end of this tunnel, a “Golden Age comin’ round”, and you and I together form a bond as strong as a family tree, and in these dark times, that’s enough to make me feel alright. So put on your red dress, and let the good vibrations overtake you; “let it move right in”; “let it kiss your face”; “let it sow your skin in perpetual embrace.” You can do this. I can do this. WE will do this. All it takes is a shake of the hips and the unraveling of your fist. Trust in me and just believe, cause I can see it; I can feel it, that Golden Age comin’ round the bend. And I refuse to let it stop me from reveling in the boogie. All I ask is that you don’t let it stop you too.
KEY TRACKS: Dancing Choose/Golden Age/Lover’s Day

  • 08/The Cool Kids/The Bake Sale EP


  • 9/Conor Oberst/Conor Oberst


  • 10/Vampire Weekend/Vampire Weekend


  • 11/Kanye West/808s and Heartbreak


  • 12/Bon Iver/For Emma, Forever Ago


  • 13/The Black Keys/Attack & Release


  • 14/Hercules & Love Affair/Hercules & Love Affair


  • 15/MGMT/Oracular Spectacular


  • 16/The Kills/Midnight Boom


  • 17/Madonna/Hard Candy


  • 18/Lil Wayne/Tha Carter III


  • 19/Ashlee Simpson/Bittersweet World


  • 20/Santogold/Santogold


  • 21/The Roots/Rising Down


  • 22/Kidz in the Hall/The In Crowd


  • 23/Panic at the Disco/Pretty.Odd.


  • 24/Deerhunter/Microcastle AND Why?/Alopecia


  • 25/Kings of Leon/Only By the Night

  • No comments: