Tuesday, December 16, 2008

PUT THE NEEDLE ON IT!: Tauwan's Top Albums of 2008



10/Vampire Weekend/Vampire Weekend

I like how this album starts. I like the imagery I conjure up in my head to go along with said album’s start. I like imagining that I am there in that scene on the cover of the album, waiting and anticipating among the masses, curious with my arms crossed. Or maybe rocking back and forth in anticipation, sending texts or checking the time, lost in the crowd, waiting, as if to say “here we are now, entertain us.” I like how those first few seconds of Mansford Roof are like a call for my (and the audience’s) attention, an understated bang of the gavel if you will. A quick and understated way of saying, “Hello, we are Vampire Weekend”, without really saying it. I like that. I like how I am eventually won over in a matter of seconds. I like what comes next. And after that. And following that. I like the breezy air these melodies float in on one after the other. I like the simplicity, the jaunty rhythms, afro-pop leanings, and, of course, the witty asides. I like wondering if these rhythms and musical stylings feel unnatural to Peter Gabriel too, or whether Lil Jon does indeed keep it real more often than the average man. Do I give a fuck about an Oxford Comma? I don’t know, but I like contemplating such trivial and mundane matters while tapping my feet and nodding my head to a melody that coasts like a summer breeze filling the air. Yes, I like the trappings these breezy power pop-punk nuggets come wrapped in. And I also like going in not knowing what to expect, and walking away completely satisfied. I guess what I am trying to say is, I like Vampire Weekend. That is all.
KEY TRACKS: Mansford Roof/A-Punk/Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa

  • 11/Kanye West/808s and Heartbreak


  • 12/Bon Iver/For Emma, Forever Ago


  • 13/The Black Keys/Attack & Release


  • 14/Hercules & Love Affair/Hercules & Love Affair


  • 15/MGMT/Oracular Spectacular


  • 16/The Kills/Midnight Boom


  • 17/Madonna/Hard Candy


  • 18/Lil Wayne/Tha Carter III


  • 19/Ashlee Simpson/Bittersweet World


  • 20/Santogold/Santogold


  • 21/The Roots/Rising Down


  • 22/Kidz in the Hall/The In Crowd


  • 23/Panic at the Disco/Pretty.Odd.


  • 24/Deerhunter/Microcastle AND Why?/Alopecia


  • 25/Kings of Leon/Only By the Night
  • No comments: