Monday, December 08, 2008

PUT THE NEEDLE ON IT!: Tauwan's Top Albums of 2008



18/Lil Wayne/Tha Carter III

Purchase, open, then press play. In comes the strings, loud, menacing, effective.

And then, BOOM!:

“IT’S ME, The rapper eater! THEY CAN’T STOP ME! Even if they stopped me!..."

I’m on it/Ooh I’m on it/I’m so on it/And how ever you want it you can get it tonight hoe/And all night hoe…”

[STOP]

[Listen. Swag game proper fresh out the gate.]

[CONTINUE]

“I might go crazy on these n***as/I don’t give a motherf**k!”

[STOP]

[Listen. Brace yourself.]

[CONTINUE]

“It’s Tha Carter III b***h!”/Better put ya supper up/Hollygrove I throw it up/Like I’m tryna lose my gut.”

[STOP]

[Listen. Take it all in.]

[CONTINUE]

“Shit get on my level you can’t get on my level/You would need a Space Shuttle or a ladder that’s forever!”

[STOP]

[Listen. Again, take it all in. Swag still “at a hundred and climbing, baby.”]

[CONTINUE]

“B***h swallow my words/Taste my thoughts/And if it’s too nasty, spit it back at me.”

[STOP]

Get the point? Good. Let’s proceed.

I didn’t know it then, but looking back on it now, the lines and venom spit in track one, verse one of Lil Wayne’s much reviewed, purchased, and salivated upon opus Tha Carter III, would go on to perfectly articulate and encompass what is packaged within the disc’s sixteen tracks. This disc bursts at the seams with words and ideas, tickling its own fancy with the hopes that you too will get it and be entertained. Operating as if he were a narrator of the Greatest Story Never Told (til now), Lil Wayne sells this disc, staying on his grind with a clear throat, flow, and energy that is adjusted and toyed with depending on what the song and/or story may call for. Hungry and eager to stake his claim? Check. Present. Track One, 3 Peat. Confident and lovable, with the ability to get what he wants? Check. Present. See Mrs. Officer or Lollipop. Alert and aware/not too gone to know what’s up? Check. Present. See Tie My Hands or Dr. Carter. Track after track, turn of phrase after turn of phrase, Lil Wayne bursts at the seams with this knowledge and creativity, tickling his own fancy, with the hopes that you too get it, and will be entertained. And you are. Welcome to Wayne's World. Party time. Excellent.
KEY TRACKS: 3 Peat/Dr. Carter/Let the Beat Build

  • 19/Ashlee Simpson/Bittersweet World


  • 20/Santogold/Santogold


  • 21/The Roots/Rising Down


  • 22/Kidz in the Hall/The In Crowd


  • 23/Panic at the Disco/Pretty.Odd.


  • 24/Deerhunter/Microcastle AND Why?/Alopecia


  • 25/Kings of Leon/Only By the Night
  • No comments: