Wednesday, December 24, 2008

OBSESSION! My heart goes a BOOM BOOM TAP!

Tauwan's Top "25" Singles of 2008



02/Jason Mraz/I'm Yours

I’ve always wanted to play guitar. And for a minute there in college I was convinced that I would. I roomed with guitar players, I sang with guitar players, and I gawked at the guitars of guitar players. I too wanted to be able to take a song and make it my own, play a Hotel California cover, or start a few drunken (and probably annoying) sing alongs at party where a guitar was present. And soon, eventually, I’d move on to the good stuff, original compositions; just me, my voice, and the guitar. And, if I were to play my cards right, I’d be able to come up with something as earnest, well crafted, and loveable as Jason Mraz’s I’m Yours. There are few things more aurally refreshing than an immaculately crafted, verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus fade pop song, particularly one in which its humble roots (a boy, his guitar, and simple declarations on a love most divine) still shine through, even with the addition of a few compositional extras (keys, breezy backing vocals, bass, and some scats). The sentiments expressed in the lyrics are as universal as the song’s aforementioned foundation, and Jason’s delivery is clear, soulful, sung to impress (her) and most definitely convincing. I may not have learned how to play guitar yet, or started a few guitar lead sing alongs, but when listening to this song I’m close, putting my best vocal forward, groovin’ with the soul of a heart –on-his-sleeve troubadour.



  • 03/Solange Knowles/Sandcastle Disco AND I Decided, Pt. 1


  • 04/Madonna feat. Pharrell/Give it 2 Me AND Cut Copy/Lights and Music


  • 05/Coldplay/Viva La Vida


  • 06/Jordin Sparks feat. Chris Brown/No Air


  • 07/Panic at the Disco/Nine in the Afternoon


  • 08/Lil Wayne/A Milli AND Lollipop


  • 09/Estelle feat. Cee-Lo/Pretty Please (Love Me) AND Jazmine Sullivan feat. Missy Elliot/Need U Bad


  • 10/Ne-Yo feat. Jamie Foxx and Fabolous/She Got Her Own (Miss Independent RMX)AND The Dream/I Luv Your Girl


  • 11/T-Pain feat. Lil Wayne/Can't Believe It


  • 12/MGMT/Electric Feel


  • 13/Britney Spears/Womanizer AND
    Nine Inch Nails/Discipline


  • 14/Ray J feat. Yung Berg/Sexy Can I


  • 15/Colby O'Donis feat. Akon/What You Got


  • 16/Santogold/Lights Out AND Creator


  • 17/Bun B feat. Sean Kingston/That's Gangsta


  • 18/Rick Ross feat. T-Pain/The Boss


  • 19/Kidz in the Hall/Drivin' Down the Block (Low End Theory)


  • 20/Kanye West/Heartless


  • 21/Ashanti/Good Good AND Slim feat. Shawty Lo and Yung Joc/So Fly (RMX)


  • 22/Beck/Gamma Ray


  • 23/Kylie Minogue/All I See


  • 24/The Game feat. Travis Barker/Dope Boys


  • 25/Janet Jackson/Feedback AND Rock With U
  • No comments: