Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Here's a little story that must be told!

And it goes a little something like this:


Yeah... It was one of those nights.

Oh last summer. Fresh out of college, back home in Los Angeles, long hair now cut, living the unemployed but educated life in the city. One warm summer night I was just riding around with the homieMoleski.

[I am sure we were doing something far more spectacular than cruising the streets, for lack of a better word; but at the moment it all escapes me]

I wasn't ready to call it a night, we are young twentysomethings I thought, it's a Saturday night, and last I had checked it wasn't even 11 pm yet. And I needed [okay wanted] a drink. I don't how, and again, don't remember why, but we were in the Los Feliz/Echo Park/Silverlake region, which partially explains how, when Moleski asked where we could go that was nearby I suggested and lead him to Akbar.

Now if you don't live in Los Angeles/aren't familiar with Akbar, it's one of those not quite a dive, not quite large enough to be a club type establishments that for the most part, caters to the young and "hip" who also happen to like those who share the same sexual organs as they do. [And on this night, Wanda Sykes and two gal pals. Don't ask. I'm not her keeper] Now this wasn't my first trip to a gay bar, but it was for my 100% heterosexual partner in crime for the night Moleski. As I danced to a beat or two and downed a few drinks Dave remained glued to the wall, not out of fear or ignorance, but because it was all so damn interesting to take in, in a fish out of water, sociological field trip kind of way.

[Though I would totally understand the fear part. I once left a party to hook up in his car, (What? I was young. And by young I mean drunk and horny.) only to return and find out that for the duration of my drunken time away, he was accosted by an older gay co-worker of mine.]

But I digress.

To make a long story short, Moleski left Akbar completely amazed at what he had witnessed. It was just, in his words "quite the experience". Was it one he needed to explore again? Not really. But if he ever wanted to be reminded of the night where he found out that not all gay guys look and act like Jack from Will and Grace, he should read this post from Dan Carlson, over at Slowly Going Bald, describing his first trip, as a heterosexual male, to a gay club.

  • SLOWLY GOING BALD: The Man Show: Or, My First Trip To A Gay Club
  • No comments: