Friday, June 08, 2007

A Moment of Clarity?


Today's moment of clarity comes courtesy of Mr. Dave Navarro. Take it away Dave!

I never do record reviews but I figured, at least you know what I like and what my influences are. Based on that, you can decide if you want to even consider my opinion... I always thought that readers should know where a reviewer is coming from before giving any review validity. I was just checking out the new Manson: Eat Me, Drink Me and at first, I was trippin... I was like... Huh? Being such a huge Antichrist fan, I guess I wanted more of that, but then again we have that record already, thank God. After getting into it deeper, I decided I love it. The album is a lot more stripped back production wise than the last few and way more "song" oriented. I would even venture to say that there are some serious New Wave elements to the new collection of songs, especially in the guitar department. Lyrically the songs are dark as to be expected but they are sometimes within musical structures that are by far the least ominous of all the previous Manson sonics. Vocally, he is on point... It's always good to hear that guy sing no matter what it's over, provided you are already a fan as I am. Melody wise, it's pretty much business as usual, but Manson's strong suit hasn't always been melody, it's been attitude, lyrical content and delivery... I think he still delivers here. Eat Me, Drink Me is a major musical departure from the usual Manson trip, in terms of the band and production, but it is a definite must have for the die hard fan. The album seems to maintain a moderate tempo throughout which can at times, grow tiresome to some, but at the same time, it makes for good in your face driving music or good background music. The same statement can be made about my last work with The Panic Channel, so in no way is that a dig. I will be purchasing this album for sure. You can check it out on the MM MySpace page which is linked above. Why am I even bothering with a review? Because information about music should come from musicians. The funny thing is, that I was inspired to do this review after talking to my long time friend and Rolling Stone contributor, Steve Baltin. We were discussing the whole critic/reviewer issue and it became clear to me through the conversation that the only way to change up the current dynamic is to go ahead and do something about it. Hopefully we can get more artists to get the information out there. Put it this way, if you don't like where I come from as an artist, you can at least consider that before reading what my thoughts are on a particular artist or band.

Thanks Dave. I am listening to it as I write this [What? Yeah I bought it! What?] and I am enjoying it. But then again, I'm kind of biased when it comes to Marilyn and his music.

  • IDOLATOR: Dave Navarro Not-So-Subtly Auditioning For Pitchfork
  • No comments: