Monday, June 04, 2007

Five Concerts.



Brought to you by the folks over at Pajiba:

"What are the five best live performances you’ve ever witnessed? Your one most disappointing concert experience? And the one band/performer you always wanted to see live but still haven’t. Go forth and show your cool."

What are the five best live performances you’ve ever witnessed?

1/Beck/Midnite Vultures Tour/The Greek Theatre

"Tauwan what do you want for your birthday."

Five minutes later I sat in front of a computer screen purchasing two tickets to see Beck at the Greek Theatre with Cafe Tacuba on Cinco De Mayo. I would have been happy to go alone, as I had done with many a concert or movie beforehand, but I got two and took this senior I knew just because she too like her some Beck. No attraction, no money needed in return; I had an extra ticket and she got to go. Now there are many things to take away from this show, but whenever I look back on it the memory that really sticks out is that of Beck performing Debra. It's not everyday that you see a scrawny little white guy get his funk on atop a giant king sized bed lowered from above. Sexy and priceless!

2/Bjork/Hollywood Bowl

There are about ten million hundred thousand performers that get the phrase, "if you are a fan then you must see [blank] before you die" attached to them, and yes, I am here to say that Bjork is one of them. Vespertine was just starting to stick and she was going on tour. That alone was enough for me to snap up a golden ticket. I went alone, sitting under the sun, taking it all in: the erratic dancing, the cute and to the point shouts of thank you, and of course, the fireworks. This show was chicken soup for my teenage, midway through college soul; so much so that at one point I was brought to tears. The visuals, the emotion, the music, it just called for it, and as yet to happen at any other show I have attended. Oh, and Matmos kicked ass as the sun began to set and people slowly trickled in to capture Bjork in all her Icelandic, heart tugging glory.

3/Spoon/El Rey Theatre

Now there is plenty to remember about this night. Waking up sprawled on the floor in tighty whities the morning after like a chalk outline, barely covered by the blanket I -or perphaps someone else- provided for myself, accompanied by a massive headache when in actuality I was supposed to be at work or on my way to it. [8-3 shift. Definitely missed that one] Drinking way, way, way too much Smirnoff Green Apple Vodka and Sprite. [That's how we rolled a few years ago] Spending a lenghty amount of time at a warehouse party populated by my friends in front of a giant fan alone, totally transfixed by it all. Yeah... What a night. It could have ended with Spoon calling it a night and us exiting the El Rey. Yes, they were that good. At this point, Spoon and I weren't even that tight. I came in late and bought a ticket simply because Kill the Moonlight was a great start to finish long player. Lucky lucky me for chalking up the 18 bucks to do the damn thing. To be honest, all I truly remember is that they didn't play Stay Don't Go as far as finite memories go, but still, I was close to the stage, the boys in the band were on point, and Britt Daniel's charm and/or charisma gave the show an unpolished yet polished feel. This could have been a garage in Texas and no one would have noticed or cared. Extra points for also turning me on to the Elvis like swagger of opening trio the Natural History. Where are they now? Inquiring minds want to know.

4/The Rapture/Henry Fonda Theatre

Okay. So I kind of have a big boy crush on the Rapture. Is this news to anyone who knows me by now?

  • SEE: Pieces of the People We Love


  • 5/Wilco/A Ghost Is Born Tour/The Greek Theatre AND The White Stripes/Get Behind Me Satan Tour/The Greek Theatre

    I don't listen to classic rock on the regular, and I am way too young[/wasn't born yet] to have experienced the Zepplins, Stones, and T.Rex's in their heydays, but I have come close by attending shows by these two bands at the Greek on seperate occasions. That Led Zepplin/Deadhead euphoria from back in the day loomed large and was in effect at both shows, present in the showmanship and guitar work on display up on that stage, the grass that burned and cruised through the air, and the majestic combination of the music, the open air, and arrival of nightfall. There may be better or just as exciting ways to see the White Stripes, but on that night, at this venue, I couldn't think of one. And I damn sure can't think of a better way to experience Wilco live than outdoors, under the stars, with a little help from friends.

    Your one most disappointing concert experience?:

    On any given night somewhere in Eagle Rock, Echo Park, Silverlake, or Downtown Los Angeles, there is a band looking to get their feet off the ground. Or maybe you know someone in said band, or maybe you have a friend who has a friend in the band? Who knows? You go to the shows, you show some love, you wish you hadn't. I could pinpoint one band or go on and on about the many supbar shows I have attended in this regard, but it would be just as boring and uneventful as the shows themselves.

    And the one band/performer you always wanted to see live but still haven’t:

    LCD fucking Soundsystem. Came so close to seeing you next week and missed out. Apparently James Murphy and Co. are one of THE band to see live these days. -Sigh- One day...one day...

  • PAJIBA: Five Concerts
  • No comments: