Saturday, June 02, 2007

Get down! Boogie-oogie-woogie!: The second coming.

So I attended my first Narcotics Anonyomous meeting last night.




Wait.

Let me try that again.

HI!

My name is Tauwan Patterson, and I am not an addict.

Ventured out to the House of Uhuru over on Figeroua between Florence and Manchester last night for my antie-cousin's birthday. You see in the world of Narcotics Anonymous you have two birthdays: the one given to you at birth and your second birthday, the day you gave up drugs.

So big ups Angela. Two years clean. No easy feat, but she's doing it, and her and her girls [plus me]? Yep, they going out tonight.

Vernon and 4th Ave. Every friday. $5. It is THE SPOT! NA dance. No drugs, no alcohol. Just dancing.

When Angela invited me to come get my groove on with the older and sober, I immediately thought old school jams, and a lot of electirc sliding. [Actually this one played out as I expected. More on that later.] What I encountered instead was something that took me back to junior high school, when you couldn't go a weekend without being in somebody's house or backyard getting your freak on to whatever was popping on BET, Power 106, or 92.3 THE BEAT at the time. [Under the watchful eye of someone's parents of course.]

Yes, it was a gay old time. By 12:15 I was sitting in a chair taking it all in and fighting back sleep. See that's what happens when you get yo electric slide on for nearly 20 minutes.

Random thouhts and Highlights from last night:

-Bluetooths: the hot new clothing accessory in the club.

-Man, black folk sure do love them some R.Kelly. We heard him not once, not twice, but 4 times tonight. [12 Play/I'm A Flirt/Step in the Name of Love (surprise, surprise), and Home Alone]

-Speaking of Home Alone, am I right or am I right when I proclaim it one of the best party songs EVER (!)?



-I mean Keith Murray's rap on the bridge is worth price of admission alone:

Chillin' at the house on the hill
You gotta say my my my like Johnny Gill
Hey, rich girl, poor girl get the same respect
You can all drink for free and call Earl collect
At the moment of truth with burden of proof
We stack so you can spread love like I chose
The lyrical genius with the R&B messiah
And the roof, the roof we sets on fire
But as long as the party is jumpin, we ain't concerned
We don't need no water let the motherfucker burn
And everybody who was somebody was there
With they hands in the air bringing in the new year
Yeah, ay yo, come on


-My sister wasn't kidding when she said they electric slide for like 20 minutes! This was then followed by the cha cha silde [rmx] (of course), and some jazz electric slide, and then the "Outkast" slide to I Like the Way You Move. [Which went on for ten minutes tonight. Guess it was the maxi single remix]

-I had to sit that Outkast one out though. I can dance, but you just don't jump into the "Mighty O" slide. That shit takes practice. I didn't come prepared. I was actually stepping on people's toes and sliding into people before I threw my hands up and said "fuck it!"

-Black folk older than I [30 +] love them some Too Short.

-I miss Dj Quik...

-And Sugarfree.

-As long as there is krumping in the world, some Black women will forever be 45 going on 16.

-Yes 2 Of Amerikaz Most Wanted is a great song, but hey Mr. DJ, playing it twice in one night? Definitely a party foul. I don't think anyone cared though.

-Speaking of 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, what does it say about hip-hop today or my current taste in music that I still know all the words to 2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted and Money Ain't a Thang, but couldn't recite a Young Jeezy or Yung Joc song verbatim if I tried?

-Trend of the night, MALES: Randomly shouting like Tarzan for no apparent reason.

-Trend of the night, FEMALES: Girls who like dancing with girls who look like boys who like girls and do girls like they're boys.

-I need more E-40 in my life.

-My little sister [19] has way too many male friends that are older than me [23]. That shit is mad fishy son. So yes, I've decided that straight men cannot have female friends.

No comments: