Thursday, September 07, 2006

R U Still Down 4 Me?


As noted by the folks over at
  • Rolling Stone,
  • today marks the tenth anniversary of the day 2pac was shot while rolling with Suge Knight in Las Vegas. His life came to an unfortunate end six days later, on September 13. Before I discovered my indie-rock, british bands, and the alternative scene, I was just another young Black male born and raised on the pop, hip-hop, r&b, and old school joints of my Black bretheren. I still remember paying twenty dollars for my own copy of Pac's double album All Eyez On Me [on cassette] and still knowing to this day all the words to 2 of America's Most Wanted. [That was my jam.]I remember going away to college, my first venture in education that involved more White kids than any other race and ethnicity, and wondering why every weekend, no matter the party, California Love was always on the playlist and got the largely homogenous crowd to go crazy. I remember hearing his dis track to Biggie, Hit Em Up and thinking damn son, this shit is insane. But more than anything I remember always having a spot on a cd, [and later my ipod], or in a stereo for a 2pac track, album or two. Even after his death.

    At Rollingstone.com they also draft up a list of their favorite 2pac's tracks and ask for yours. Here are a few of mine:

    Keep Ya Head Up
    2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted
    Hail Mary
    How Do You Want It
    So Many Tears
    I Ain't Mad At Cha
    I Get Around
    Picture Me Rollin
    All Bout U
    Ambition Az A Ridah
    R U Still Down? (Remember Me)

    No comments: