Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Gangstas don't dance, they boogie!


Gangstas don't dance, they boogie. It's a common known "fact" passed on from one homie to another. Well it also seems that gangstas don't show off their feet/wear flip-flops either. Just ask DMX who tells Vibe magazine that "thugs don't wear flip-flops" and chides Jay-Z for being so comfortable in his:

"The flip flops-he's just not the same... It's Beyonce. He's a sucker for love. Thugs don't wear flip flops. Yo, no matter how much vacation I'm on - we been to St. Thomas, Bahamas, all the little islands - I don't wear no flip-flops. I'm never that comfortable, not even in my own house."

Now I am not going to go out on a limb and back X wholeheartedly but I don't think he is the only Black male who thinks this way. I have spent sunshiny days in neighborhoods consisting of mostly Black people and I have also spent many a sunny afternoon in areas where the number of Blacks are much smaller. Flip-flops just ain't an option for many a Black male, females maybe, but not dudes. Nu-uh.[Although I'll take flip-flops over sandals or "houseshoes" with socks anyday] I have never really thought about it til now [thanks X], but then again for many guys the last thing we want to show off is our feet. Haircuts, face, wrists, hell even fingers come first. The only care that goes into many a Black male's feet involves adorning them in some fly ass sneaks. Am I right, or am I right? But whatever. If Beyonce was my one and only I would rock some flip-flops on vacation like it was my job.

No comments: