Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I'm bringing sexy back! YEP!


A few weeks back I wrote a lengthy little blurb on Oasis. It was there that I revealed my undying love for the band and how I pretty much own about 75% of their catalogue. While the rest of the world were busy passing them by and reliving the joy that is Wonderwall [myself included] over and over again, I was busy giving each new album a chance and actually enjoying them. I am always down with looking for new music and giving artists a chance. Best case scenario: I find an artist and add them to my list of artists who pull me in with each release. It's not a very long list but off the top of my head I can think of a few who get my attention with each new release: Beck, Janet Jackson, Ludacris [although I am iffy on this new one], Radiohead, Nelly Furtado, and of course Oasis. There are others of course, but for the time being I'll stick with those.

Actually scratch that, I do have someone else to add: Marilyn MOTHERFUCKING Manson. Yeah you heard me. I love me some Marilyn Manson. Unlike most I did not come in with Antichrist Superstar. I came in with Mechanical Animals and since then I have loved everything about the man. His artistry [yes artistry], shock value, autobiography, taste in fashion, opinions both in and out of the studio, his glowing Rolling Stone essay post Columbine [a well written and subtle fuck you to all of those placing part of the blame for Columbine on him], and of course the music.

Antichrist Superstar-industrial/Trent Renzor influenced shock rock
Mechanical Animals-Glam inspired/David Bowie channeling maturity
Holy Wood (In the shadow of the Valley of Death)-A post Columbine record steeped in social commentary with its finger on the pulse
And 2003's The Golden Age of Grotesque-Dada/German Third Reich influenced/Vaudevillian themed collection

There's a reason why bullmoose.com gives these albums a rating of 4 1/2, 4, 4 1/2, and 4 out of 5 stars respectively, because like David Bowie and countless others before him, there is genuine artistry and magic behind the make-up with songs to back it all up.

It's been three years since Manson has released new material and I couldn't be happier to here that Marilyn Manson is working on new material. Accoring to NME.com, "Manson has half an LP's worth of material completed." Including a new track titled Rebels Without Applause, which is supposedly about "new bands becoming popular." Manson tells Rolling Stone:

I'm not the bitter guy that's jealous of these other bands that are coming up and stealing my thunder. I invented thunder and rain. I am THE black. And I'm here to vacuum the red carpet.


Damn straight man. I can't wait for this album to drop. In the meantime do yourself a favor and get your hands on some Marilyn Manson. You'll be doing yourself a big favor. As I type this, Mechanical Animals plays in the background. The Dope Show to be exact. I forgot how great and dare I say it, sexy this song is. Rock on M&M. Rock on!

  • NME Manson brief.
  • No comments: