Monday, October 01, 2007

Projekt Revolution.


What up pimpin'?

Phew. For a minute there I lost myself. Seriously. Standing in the Echoplex [I know, I know. What, do I have a season pass or something?] waiting for this band almost felt like a hot, sewaty, "industry" eternity. Plasma screens hanging on pillars like Van Goghs, black leather "ottomans" littering the "dancefloor", a "dancefloor" littered with people that don't dance no more, it all felt like some strange parallel universe.

Okay, let me go back a little bit.

I came to see We Are Scientists. Yeah it's a Sunday night, and yes I have work in the morning, and yes I am drained as all hell from Saturday and Sunday's lending a hand at the restaurant, but that's besides the point. This show is only five dollars, and I dig their debut.

But where the fuck I am I?

Seriously.

I totally misread that memo.

The 1st annual Swervefest?

And wait, was that just Jason Lee.

Oh what's that you say?

He hosted an awards show before we showed up?

An awards show? For what?

And what the fuck is Fuel TV?

Seriously what the hell is going on.

And why are we watching, yes watching, this guy who looks just as happy you all do to be standing still "in awe" oh his talents spin the obligatory soul grooves and recent semi-popular hip-hop tracks. [Big ups on that Mr. Me Too drop]

Wait, he's done?

And we're moving ottomans?

Oh shit!

You know what that means?

Band time baby.

Or not.

Wow. What a lull. Nice haircut on that sound check guy though.

Wait-

What the hell is playing?

No.

It can't be.

Somebody from the Fuel TV crew has seriously chosen a Toad the Wet Sprocket disc as the filler music leading up to We Are Scientists.

Whatever. I still can't get over what I heard before the Mid to late 90's power hour broke out on the sound system.

PRE TOAD...

What is this?

I know I recognize it.

Okay, this is definitely Mos Def, but why is it not clicking yet still oh so familiar to me?

FIVE MINUTES LATER...

Oh my god.

It is not.

Wait,

It is.

This is that Mos Def/Massive Attack song from that Blade II sdtrk that paired hip-hop artists with the hot "electronica" artists at the time.

Wow.

Can't believe I am hearing this at a Fuel TV "soirée" before seeing We Are Scientists play.

I also can't believe that I recognize, and can find a mixed CD from back in the day where this track knocks. I mean KNOCKS!

No comments: