Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Love Shack.


Burnin' Up? I guess.

I am one gullible motherfucker. Seriously. Ask some of my close friends. [Hell ask a
co-worker or casual acquaintance] This is even more true when it comes to record reviews. If there is enough chatter and/or favorable reviews stacked behind an artist's work, then I'll try to take it in, go "hmm" and give it a shot. This of course, leads to the all important sampling step. Now this is truly make or break time. If you can't win me over in a 30 second iTunes/Amazon/full length website and/or blog stream then sorry, we're done. No amount of favorable words can save you then.

Case in point: The Jonas Brothers.

I know, I know, "what the hell are you doing caring about the Jonas Brothers", right?

Wrong.

Look, I like pop music. And I also spend of fair amount of my days scanning music mags and blogs just to stay up on my favorite acts, tune in to some new shit, and further my love of all things music. So it should come as no surprise that I have come across the name Jonas Brothers from time to time in the last couple of months. Especially seeing as how they are operating on this whole "bigger than The Beatles" tip. [calm down people, it's a joke]

So after a while I had to move beyond the Nick and Miley gossip, the promise ring nonsense, and all that jazz, and go, "yeah, but what about that music?"

Yeah...about that.

Remember that whole gullible thing I mentioned a few sentences ago?

A week or two back I found myself scanning the new Rolling Stone, and read the album review for the Jo Bros. latest disc A Little Bit Longer. The reviewer gave it four stars. FOUR STARS!!! Oh word? My eyebrows raised, I sat up straight on the couch, and literally said aloud, "am I gonna have to buy a Jonas Brothers CD?", as was mentioned in a previous blog post shortly following the living room announcement.

Eventually, I came to my senses and realized it ain't that serious.

And then the morning came.

This morning to be exact.

Looks like these fools are on track to sale damn near 800,000 copies of A Little Bit Longer this week. [Oh no! But Miley only sold 300,000 copies! -GASP!] And it's already off to a good start seeing as how it sold 201,000 copies on Tuesday alone. So after hearing this I opened my iTunes store and scanned me some tracks.

Yeah...about that.

Not for me. A lot of processed, crunchy sounding guitars and instrumentation, complete with that popular not quite Simple Plan and bands of that ilk but close vocal stylings track...after track. But then I got to track five, Lovebug. This is the song that damn near every reviewer points out in their write ups of A Little Bit Longer. And I can see why. Yeah, I only got a 30 second clip, but it was quite refreshing, especially amidst all the processed odes to being "hot and cold" and "yearning for you ba-bay" [Okay, so that last one might not be an actual lyric, but the sentiment is there, trust me] It's also very playful, and takes it time to simply breathe, hinting at a sound and a vibe that's more attuned to their age and could hint at what's to come if Disney "steps the fuck off" for a minute. Now, am I gonna buy the album or pay more attention to the fellas because of it? No? Will I hold out hope that their music will one day move beyond the processed cash machine it's currently stuck in? Yes.

Plus, any song that reminds me of the Foo Fighers' See You off The Colour and the Shape gets major points in my book...

New flava in ya ear!

The Jonas Brothers.

Lovebug.



BONUS:

Foo Fighters.

See You.


No comments: