Saturday, July 07, 2007

A Moment of Clarity


Yo Diddy. I got a bone to pick with you. Okay so looka here. You are currently at the outset of finding yourself a new O-Town, Dream, or Da Band [-Sigh- Da Band. Oh how I miss thee. Now that was good television], and I can't help but feel sorry for those poor lads lining up to join your new all male supergroup. They'll get a sweet pad, an opening spot on the Scream Tour, [or opening for TGT] and a hot producer of the moment to produce that hot debut single that'll get it's own episode of Making the Video, and aid in moving some units. And then that'll be it. And that's a goddamn shame.

I say this cause as of late I have been finding myself returning to Danity Kane's self-titled debut album quite often. Now I know a lot of people like to harp on the ladies of DK [particularly Aubrey for some reason], but if you take the time to listen without prejudice, you'll find that their debut LP is quite refreshing; a sweet slice of harmony driven R&B.

Now like those before you, I had no reason to go out and get this album, no matter how much I enjoyed lead single Showstopper. [thanks in part to a late night MTV Making the Video viewing]And then I started to read positive reviews and decided to give it a shot. [ and by give it a shot I mean hit up a torrent site]Yes I am that easy sometimes. Why do you think FallOut Boy's latest is one of my favorite albums of the year? Read an A- minus review of it over at
  • Stylus Magazine
  • and got my download on. [Don't fret RIAA I then went out and bought it.]

    But I digress...

    What I came to encounter is a disc that succeeds in letting five unknown talents shine, tackling the tried and true arenas of contemporary R&B: love gone, love lost, love seeked, and jealous ass females who can't stand a girl in love.

    But then again I am a closet female R&B boy at heart; I grew up loving my Monica's, SWV's, and Aaliyah's. So maybe I am a little biased. But the ladies of Danity Kane got it right [I dare you to skip a track starting with One Shot right up to Ooh Aah. The sequencing is magnificent] and that is why I don't see why Diddy ain't out there getting them a little more exposure and publicity that this disc just craves? This ain't nothing revolutionary, yes I know, but I feel these girls might deserve a little better. Dream anyone?

    Ooh and best of luck fellas. Diddy's pulling for ya!

    And here's a taste of one of my jam's from Danity Kane:

    No comments: