Thursday, July 12, 2007

Damn homie I'm feeling this.

[no homo]...

Look I'mma go ahead and keep it real. This phrase entertains me. I remember the first time no homo came into my life. [Or at least one of the first times] Someone very close to me was worried about a bump or bite or some shit that had sprouted on a part of his body that very few eyes get to see. [Don't worry. He got it checked out. Nothing serious. It has since left the building. All is to the good.]

Before he went to drop his pants he filled me in on what was about to go down, and hit me with the now popular disclaimer presented above: "No homo". Cause you know dropping your pants for someone of the same sex who you ain't sleeping with cause you don't swing that way is, you know, gay.

I couldn't laugh, but boy did I want to. I had never heard this phrase before, but I immediately caught the context of it all, and couldn't believe that it was the new hotness in many a social circle. And then, out of nowhere, it just blew up around these parts. I added it to my own lexicon [cause I mean, come on, it's quite the verbal gem] and soon began to hear it sprinkled hear and there in a few rap songs whenever I was paying attention.

But I really knew the phrase had made it when I ventured out to La Cita in downtown Los Angeles one Thursday night, lost in a sea of hipsters, and young non-Hollywood LA types, and saw a young caucasian male adorned in a white t-shirt with no-homo written across the chest in purple cursive writing. The beast was now unleashed.

That is why I can't help but laugh and enjoy this clip presented below that both showcases the urban finesse and inherent absurdity present in the phrase "no homo".



Clip spotted over at
  • Nah Right
  • No comments: