Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ready for the Floor.


"JUST LET YOUR SOUUUUL GLOWWW!"

So this morning I was thinking, "damn, if I go to this Kanye West show, what the hell am I going to wear?"

Real talk.

A weekend or two back I was at the ever overflowing with Black teenagers spot that is the Bridge. Leaving Marie Callender's. Walking past to the movie, look in the window: large group of young well dressed Black kids. I'm talking boys in flannel shirts, fitted caps, high tops, fitted jeans, [I said "fitted", not tight. Don't get it twisted.], ironic tees, print all over hoodies. Ladies in tights, flashing brights, door knockers, looking fresh. To. Def.

This should come as no surprise to anyone right? Let's not kid ourselves, the Black community has always had its skater bois, club kids, hipsters, and fly girls, but ever since the massive success of playas like Lupe Fiasco, Pharell Williams, and most importantly Kanye West, it's become a little more okay to step out on the block in bright colors, fitted jeans [Again, I said "fitted", not tight. Don't get it twisted.], and kicks that knock. Everybody's got a look these days, from the hood to the wood, and it ain't just a giant white tee with a fitted cap and nondescript jeans.

And when this Glow in the Dark tour rolls into town, best believe that it will. Be. A fashion show both on and off the stage.

Kanye West. Lupe Fiasco. Rihanna. N.E.R.D. Los Angeles. The newly built Nokia Theatre Downtown. [Which I hear has horrible acoustics.] April 21st. Tickets on sale tomorrow at 10 a.m.

Get ready for the floor.

No comments: