Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Love of my life. (Right now)


"Where's all my soul sisters? Let me hear y'all flow sisters..."

2 boys. 2 phones. One lunch break...

BRANDON: This new Janet is kinda good.
TAUWAN: I still need more time with it. My initial response is it starts string but then loses me in the middle. Now Erykah Badu's new CD: loved it the minute i pressed play. It sounds like some parliament funkadelic/bootsy collins shit created in the 70's.
BRANDON: I don't like it.
TAUWAN: Well, we'll agree to disagree on that one then. Haha. Such a -EXPLETIVE DELETED SO THAT I APPEAR TOLERANT AND EASY GOING, CAUSE I AM- what with the whole "ooh girl this janet cd is the lick, but i can't fuck with that crazy afro'd badu shit." lol.
BRANDON: Her shit is weird. It ain't the soul music im used to her putting out.
TAUWAN: Touch. Touche. So obvious she was in the studio with "that shit...."

But that doesn't mean YOU shouldn't press play. Why? Because this album is a revelation. A straight up start to finish, top notch LP drenched in reality, drenched in soul. It's been a minute since we last heard from Erykah, but this album makes up for all that lost time. Trust. From the opener Amerykahn Promise -a Blaxpoitation Grindhouse theater trailer without the visuals -right on down to the bonus track [that's right bonus track] and "safe" first single Honey, Badu opens her mouth, raises a fist, and tells it like it is, in whatever way she deems fit. [Stick around for the end of Me. Some might find the vocal play weird and out of control, but I think it's clever, nicely unexpected and inspired.] It's an ambitious, soul stirring effort, and definitely one of 2008's first headphone masterpieces. No disrespect to my girl Janet, but this is the February 26th release that keeps calling me back...

For fans of: Marvin Gaye/D'Angelo/Parliament/Bootsy Collins/Sly and the Family Stone, etc, etc...

  • MYSPACE: Erykah Badu
  • No comments: