Thursday, September 27, 2007

New flava in ya ear!


REAL TALK!

Kanye this. 50 Cent that. Boy am I glad that's all over. People acting like that's the only Tuesday a CD gets released and shit. What about September 25th? As in this past Tuesday. I was fortunate enough to scoop up not one, not two, but three stellar long players. Devendra Banhart's Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon, Iron and Wine's The Shepherd's Dog, and Jill Scott's The Real Thing - Words and Sounds, Vol. 3. Now no disrespect to Mr. Beam or Ms. Scott, but I was oh so excited to "bump" that new Banhart disc on the way to work Wednesday morning. Imagine my dismay when I went to press play on Smokey Rolls... and all I had was track one. One mothafucking track. Way to go on that one Tauwan. Could have sworn that I imported the entire disc. It's all good. Got the other two. One of them being, as stated before, a new disc from Ms. Jill Scott.

Now when I first played this disc I paid little to no attention to it. I was preparing work clothes, attempting workouts, etc, etc. But some songs did stick. Hate On Me is a constant go to already [and provides the soundtrack to my myspace page]; How You Feel is just all sorts of Chaka Khan like goodness, with a little bit of Erykah's Worldwide Underground thrown in the mix. And don't even get me started on the all too brief poetic justice that is Crown Royal.

But right now, the song that really grips me and reminds me why you, me, and Dupri need to pay attention to Ms. Scott when she opens her mouth [and why we all fell in love with her in the first place]is Epiphany. Scat rap like spoken word; coasting, soulful vocals; vivid, beautiful imagery that pours into your ear and into your mind. It's sexy, it's grown, it's rough, it's genuine, it's, it's...real. The truth even. Act like you know. Can't wait to see her at the House of Blues in a few weeks. [Big ups Brandon and Inez. Y'all know what this is!]



Love rain down on me indeed. Still can't believe Scott Storch produced this track!

No comments: