Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Don't Forget About Us

I have been listening to a lot of great albums lately. Not singles, ALBUMS.[though I have been enjoying me some bangin' singles] 2007 has been pretty good to this popular music fan thus far, and it's quite magnificent that I've managed to absorb and/or give repeated listens to so many albums without overlooking whatever else is hot, sitting in my music collection, or coming at me every Tuesday.

Wait!

I take that back.

You can also say that 2007 has been the year that some of my favorite artists have released new albums that I have purchased, and, since the date of said purchase, I have either let them pick up dust, or get little to no play for some strange reason.

These are their stories.



Modest Mouse. We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank.

iTunes Last Played: July 22, 2007 [Tracks 1-10], April 3, 2007 [Track 11], and never at all. [Tracks 12-14]
Previously...: Good News for People Who Love Bad News was my top album of 2004. And since then Isaac and the gang could do no wrong, playing by their own rules and still pleasing the public.
What happened?: After about track seven, tracks become less distinct and exciting as those that came before it.
Why it should still be in heavy rotation:






Bloc Party. A Weekend in the City.

iTunes Last Played: 7/10, 2/26, and 4/19/07.
Previously...: That debut. Silent Alarm came out of nowhere, making the boys from London town the new Strokes for 2005.
What happened?: After knocking me out with tracks 1-4, [and that video for track 4, The Prayer]Kele and company fail to keep the momentum going for the latter half of the disc both musically and content wise.
Why it should still be in heavy rotation:






Nine Inch Nails. Year Zero.

iTunes Last Played: June 15, 2007
Previously...: Unlike most people The Fragile is my NIN record, and as of late I have been scrambling, yes scrambling to get With Teeth back in my life.
What happened?: Is the "schtick" [the beats, the lyrics, the theme of it all] getting old for me? Nothing really begged me to come back repeatedly. I ain't been this dissapointed with Trent since that one time in H&M where he seemed to think that those blue cargo shorts he had in his hand were a good idea.
Why it should still be in heavy rotation:






Bright Eyes. Cassadaga.

iTunes Last Played: 4/25, 5/30, and 8/03/07
Previously...: Me and Bright been tight ever since that stunning collection of tunes he labeled I'm Wide Awake It's Morning.
What happened?: One word to describe things after track six: tedious. 'But Tauwan did you listen to track one? That shit is too much.' No, no it's not. All the gimmicks and piling on for piling on indie sake works in that instance thank you very much.
Why it should still be in heavy rotation:






Ryan Adams. Easy Tiger.

iTunes Last Played: 7/19, 8/16/07, and tracks 9-13 not at all.
Previously...: Confession: I don't and haven't done Whiskeytown, and I don't really listen to or enjoy the stuff with the Cardinals that much or at all. But I do love solo Ryan. Yes, that includes Rock N Roll, 29, and Love is Hell. Parts 1 and 2.
What happened?: You tell me Ryan. Seriously. I want to know. And no, I won't be a dick and say go back to the druggin and boozin cause there are a handful of tracks on here that are just fine.
Why it should still be in heavy rotation:



What albums have you forgotten about/neglected this year?

1 comment:

Meredith R. said...

I'm right there with you on Easy Tiger. Although I do own all the Whiskeytown albums. If I uncheck "Halloweenhead" in the itunes playlist then the album is worth listening to all the way. That track gets on my nerves - such pitiful lyrics for Mr. Adams.

My others: LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver and Spoon's GA GA GA GA GA. Great Great albums but I keep relying on my favorite tracks. For example: "All My Friends" keeps making its way to the On-The-Go on my ipod and alas, the rest of album goes unlistened.