Saturday, January 06, 2007

Reunited and it feels so good

You have no idea how excited I am right now...


Another summer. Another night on the eastside. Gettin my drink on, cuttin a rug. And I ain't the only one. These hipsters are getting down. I mean gettin down. And why shouldn't we? Someone's IPod or guy behind the boards is playing all the jams I want to hear when I am getting down: the 80's joints, the indie hits, the dance tracks, the old school R&B cuts [ever notice how universal R&B produced before Y2K is] and all your favorite extended remixes, which aren't really remixes per se, but extended versions of your favorite jams.

But I digress.

So this one jam comes on and the crowd goes wild. I mean bonkers. I can feel the floor in this poor little house breathe and stop due to all the bodies in motion. I don't even know this song and I love it. And when that chorus comes on...Damn! I don't know the words exactly, but the lead vocalist goes up a step, turns on that falsetto and stretches out that word in perfect harmony with his bandmates. It's just too much.

Too out of it/too entranced by the next house banger to care, I simply move on and keep the party going. But this song would plague me for years to come. Many a mixtape will go by aching for the song's presence, but I could never put my finger on it. I was so it was a Hall and Oates tune cause #1, it had that Hall and Oates bounce, #2, it was clearly a fine slice of white soul, and #3, kids born between 1980 and 1985 love them some Hall and Oates.

But I was wrong. I searched every greatest hits cd and album in their back catalogue. Nothing.

Cut to a few weeks back. Said song comes on the smooth jazz station at work. Frantically I rush to the radio, turn it up a little bit, smile at the unsuspecting customer eating behing it, and let her know that I simply love this song. But it was just a moment, a faint glimmer of happiness. I bobbed my head, shook my ass, and got back to work.

Cut to today. Said song is back on the smooth jazz radio station. Now keep in mind, I only really "know" the chorus, and even then I have no idea what they are saying. I just sing "he he he heeeeeee!" in my head and sigh to myself wishing I knew the words and title to this song I love so much.

The song continues to play, but I still don't recognize it, but I DO recognize the lead vocalist: MICHAEL MCDONALD.(!?@) I, like Paul Rudd in the 40 Year Old Virgin, can do without Mike D in my life. I actually utter this to myself and laugh as the song plays. And then it happened; on came that chorus. My face froze, my body got filled with excitement, and I had to come to terms with the fact that I totally enjoy a song sung by Michael McDonald in a completely non-ironic way. [Maybe it's because he isn't covering Motown.] Whatever. I don't care, cause this song is the shit, and now that it's been bought on Itunes, you can best believe that I'm gonna play the shit out of this one.

No comments: