Monday, January 29, 2007

Arrest Yourself


I remember it like it was yesterday, the first time I got my hands on R.Kelly's Trapped in a Closet DVD. My boy Youngers was celebrating his birthday and I swung by with some liquid goodies to get the party started. Thanks to the presence of the Black Star Power playing in the background [a.k.a. BET] the topic of R and his Trapped in a Closet melodrama came up. Prior to that point I had never seen what I presumed to be a five part saga that dealt with guns, God, infedility, and homosexuality. For Youngers and those among us this was not good. It was then that I was presented with my very own copy of R.Kelly's Trapped in a Closet to view and keep for myself. It wasn't even my birthday and there I was recieving a gift that would make me smile for weeks to come. It was all too much, but boy did I love it. And boy did I also love sharing the goods with the rest of world who had yet to feast their eyes on R's masterful and epic piece of storytelling. [Midgets? Indestructible ex-cons named Twan? Wigs? And God fearing Bible thumping homosexuals? Damn Kels you are too much dawg, too much]

The only question I had is this: as an artist, how does one go on after all that? Easy. You keep it going. MTV News tells us that "there are plans to put out more chapters of his "Trapped in the Closet" series in the summer" (!!!!) following the release of his new album. I say shit, goddamn Kels. Yes the story ended rather abruptly, put what else is there to add and/or say. Dear God. Brace yourselves people as Kels' Trapped in the Closet becomes the urban melodramatic equivalent of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy.

  • MTV NEWS: R. Kelly Heading Back To 'Closet'; Ready To Tee Up New Album
  • No comments: