Monday, January 22, 2007

Come as you are



I have a confession to make. I enjoyed Gus Van Sant's Kurt Cobain inspired flick Last Days. I don't know of too many people who've seen it, but I have [in a theatre, yes]. And I also don't know of too many people who own the dvd, but I do. It's melodic and slow, but in a good way, and of course, like many a Van Sant movie, it is not without it's fair share of random come out of nowhere moments. [the scene where the two male friends 'hook up' is just as out of the blue as that scene in Elephant where the two male assasins make out in the shower.]

And of course, if you are gonna have a character who resembles [or is supposed to be] Kurt Cobain, the lead actor has to just about get everything right, and give a understated and completely non-pretentious performance, and I think Michael Pitt did just that. His mannerisms, soft spoken ramblings, yelps, and screams were nicely played. So I am guessing that is why, eventhough Last Days dropped in 2005, I can hear traces of Cobain [and a little Ryan Adams] in this track from Pitt's band, Pagoda posted over at the Modern Age.

  • The Modern Age: The LP for Michael Pitt’s Band Pagoda Finally Sees the Light of Day
  • No comments: