Friday, September 12, 2008

Real Talk: The Straight Talk Express Edition.

My 5-7 PM post work news block went a little differently yesterday afternoon. Turning on my television I was met not by the quick witted, tongue-lashing reporting of Mr. Keith Olbermann, but by the calmer, smooth talking clarity of John McCain.

And I didn’t turn the channel, turn my television off, and/or look away.

Yes, you read that right.

We are now seven years removed from the September 11th attacks, and on September 11th, 2008, both candidates, Barack and McCain, decided to cut the snark, pull back the ads, and focus on the issues and the American public. I hope a lot of you were watching, cause for the first time in a minute we all got a glimpse into the positive, “let’s talk about the issues and what I am about” side of both campaigns; a move away from the ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!

Now I can take the road most traveled and post and discuss Obama’s Q&A, but I’m gonna pat John McCain on the back instead. I may not agree and/or believe in all or most of what he stands for [hell I probably won’t even vote for him and Palin in November], BUT, last night Mr. McCain was affable, charismatic, spoke with clarity, cracked a joke or two, and showed an improvement on speeches and talks past, and reminded me of why so many people get/got caught up in his Straight Talk Express.

Most importantly, as stated earlier, we got back to the issues. No lipstick, no pit pulls, no bridges to nowhere, no talk of Mavericks and Moses, just the issues and the American public. For a minute there they lost themselves and I forgot what either or them truly stood for [both he and Palin], but not last night, for yesterday dirty, vacant, vicious politics took a back seat and straight talk took the wheel.

That's what's up!

No comments: